Skip to main content

Election Update: Summer Edition

Biden is winning. Although I think that Real Clear Politics is trying to hide the magnitude of the trouble that the president is in, it is becoming clear that the turf upon which the election will be fought is the wrong turf for an incumbent president. All the swing states are right-leaning states, and Biden is winning them. This is not exactly damaging my "Hillary Sucks" theory of the 2016 election. Trump is going to have to win back some actual moderates, in order to prevail.

There are two problems with this: firstly, the electorate does not generally like President Trump. Secondly, they do generally like Joe Biden. He had a lot of goodwill before he was Obama's vice president, and a good deal of that remains, or has even increased. The middle of the electorate does not believe that Joe Biden is a radical. The only way that Trump prevails is to convince the electorate that only he stands between the country's certain destruction. I wish him more than a bit of sarcastic good luck on this point. His two saving graces would have been the economy, and the power of incumbency. Without these things, he is in real trouble. The power of incumbency is somewhat of a tiebreaker in a tight race. The country was not overly fond of George W. Bush in 2004. In the end, however, the election became a question of the wisdom of switching horses in the middle of a war. John Kerry did not demonstrate the sort of competence and confidence that a challenger needs to override the power of incumbency.

Joe Biden was always going to be the biggest threat to Trump, because his fundamental likability and collegial nature is the antithesis of Trump, and the Age of Trump. In this way, Trump furnishes Biden with a natural message: restoring the civility and decency of America. This is why the president must try to tie Biden to the most radical elements of the Black Lives Matter movement. I would also expect a lot more mentions of Antifa, and other radical groups. It probably won't work, but he can't run on himself. All of this would be much easier to pull off, if the candidate had any semblance of discipline, or impulse control. Biden is known for saying silly things; a more disciplined candidate would stay quiet, letting others do his dirty work, and wait for Biden to mess up. The problem is that the president believes in his own cult of personality. It does not appear that he can sit on the sidelines and stay quiet, even in his own interest, for very long.

I would expect Biden to keep his sentences and speeches short, and I would recommend this as well. I would also expect the younger Democrats to be out front carrying the message of Joe Biden to the electorate. The implied message will be that although the symbol of the Democratic Party right now is an old white guy, the future of the party belongs to others. I don't expect that Biden has to do too much more in the way of placating the progressives who supported Bernie Sanders, because their willingness to show up and vote for the Democratic nominee was always an open question. When nearly 1/5 of Sanders supporters would defect to Trump anyway, it's a fool's errand to pursue their support, at the expense of moderates, which Biden still needs. A victory in the state of Arizona for example, would be a stunning repudiation of the GOP, since Mitt Romney won that state by over 9% in a losing effort. It's a Republican state; the postmortem after this crushing loss will be brutal, and not at all collegial or friendly.

You'll forgive me, if I fail to shed tears at Trump's incompetence. I have spoken consistently and vociferously since the summer of 2015. At no point did I intend to make my peace with Donald Trump. Many others have, presumably in response to what they fear in the platform and personalities of the Democratic Party. I have lodged every reasonable objection to the social policies of the Democratic Party; there is no longer anything I fear to lose, which would cause me to run into the arms of an incompetent bumbler, not even well-regarded in his area of hotels and casinos. Sooner or later, the luck runs out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...