Skip to main content

I Love Politics. Not That Much.

No, I don't think I will join that political debate group, even if it is filled with Catholics. Maybe I should say, "especially". I know what right-wing Catholics are like right now, and I don't like it. If I'm frank about it all, I don't trust myself to be kind. I'm liable to say something outrageous just to make a point, and then have to correct myself later, and probably apologize.

If I'm completely honest, I didn't have better luck with left-wing Catholics, either, when I was in one of those groups. Just to be specific, there is no universe where I will be attacking Raymond Cardinal Leo Burke, even if I disagree with him. And if it is the left-wing fashion now to attack everyone personally who does not agree with you 100%, I don't have time for that.

I don't need to spend my time "discussing" things with people who are not actually open to changing their minds. I'm not necessarily open to changing mine; so what are we talking about?

I don't believe in abortion, or in the false anthropology that allows us allegedly to define our sexual selves. I don't believe in socialism--at least that the Church condemns--and you can safely assume that I embrace the entire Catechism.

But I suppose it is a fashion of our partisan politics to identify those leaders and clergy that would talk about things other than our favored pet issues, and then pretend or fabricate the idea that such a leader is less than enthusiastic about the most crucial teachings of our faith. I charitably assume, by contrast, that most are trying to instruct us in the way of Jesus, and not in the way of being a partisan or ideological crazy person. Are there fights among the clergy? Of course there are. I'm not in denial. At the moment, I am more cognizant about the fact that our social and economic organization is itself disordered, with respect to the common good, and by consequence, the good of all people. That's going to cut across the partisan and ideological lines, and because we have been playing a cheap unsophisticated game of cops and robbers, building a better society is going to take help from people that we have exiled or dismissed.

I wouldn't give Holy Communion to Nancy Pelosi either, but you know, she's right sometimes. She's almost completely right about "the wall". And when most of the country--at least its thinkers and leaders--realizes that family breakdown has an economic component, you're gonna need liberals to design a system of some kind of redistribution, to foster the formation of permanent bonds. Most right-wing people today are still stuck on the Soviets, or maybe the Chinese now, filling in as the bogeyman. But we can get away with a lot more transfers of wealth than many people are comfortable with, in their present ideological prison.

All that is to say, I don't have any interest in whatever the short-term conversation is on the right. I don't believe in FBI conspiracies, and I don't sympathize with Donald Trump, and I don't fear Joe Biden. I would say that I don't care about the upcoming election, but the truth is, I do. I hope Trump and all he represents loses resoundingly. Which is not to say that his loss will be total gain for America, because the social and sexual left really is on their own planet, and no matter how centrist Joe Biden wants to be, he'll be pushed in that direction.

I am Catholic first; everything else is up in the air. Your problem is, you might well think that Church teaching supports more of your political ideology than it actually does. I hope you disagree with that sentence; I hope it causes you to research it. I commonly have that reaction, anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...