Skip to main content

The Way, The Truth, and the Life (John 14:1-7)

 This is one of the places where the chapter divisions don't match up with the text. On the other hand, the chapter divisions were added because there was only so much that the monks could memorize.

Jesus says, "Do not let your hearts be troubled," probably for several reasons. For one thing, he just told them he was going away. For another, he told them that one of their own would be his betrayer. And then of course, in this time, the relationship between a rabbi and his students was very close. They probably didn't know what to do next.

"In my Father's house there are many rooms" has presented an opportunity for lots of debate over the centuries. Some commentators say that it means that people from different places all over the world can find a place in heaven. Others boldly suggest that it refers to different belief systems. I don't hold that particular view. I think we should understand this in a similar way to the "other sheep" statement in John 10: people from outside Israel have a chance to obtain salvation. Verse 6 seems very exclusive, in the sense that we can understand why many saints and teachers believed that faith in Jesus was the only way to be saved. In the end, we leave the judgments to the Father, knowing that whatever he decides is right, because he is good.

They may have thought that heaven was a physical place, and that the Father would run out of space. In another sense, we might often think that we want to go to heaven, but we're not sure that we matter enough for God to be so concerned. Jesus is saying that we have a place with our name on it. Parents do this when they have a chance to provide each of their children with their own rooms.

They are of course still thinking about a physical place, because poor St. Thomas isn't sure he knows how to get there. Jesus reassures them all that he will come back for them, and lead them there. Jesus tells them that if they have known him, they have known the Father.

It is a wonderful and mysterious thing, to wonder why the God who doesn't need us wants us to be with Him, even so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...