Skip to main content

Your Trauma Is Not A Free Pass To Believe What Is False

 Yeah, I said it. It needs to be said.

I also said this: "Sometimes, hierarchy and patriarchy can be a good thing." That does not mean that it is always a good thing, or that nothing bad has ever happened as a result of abuses by either one. But I'm not an egalitarian. At the moment, I can't figure out how to believe traditional Christian anything, if I actually believe that there are no meaningful differences between men and women.

I want to be clear that I don't believe that any woman has to be meek and silent; I like women who are educated, opinionated, and downright spunky. But I think we know the difference between a woman who tells you what she thinks, and a woman who actually believes she'd be better off without you. I'm just generalizing here, but in my experience, men need to feel useful. If you say, "I don't know how you get through life without killing yourself," or, "You'd be dead if I weren't here," well, I would tell a single woman to get comfortable, because that state in life is going to last longer than she intends. And if she's married, I don't have much hope for the fortitude or manliness of that guy. In the things that don't matter, sure, give her what she wants. But if she knows that she can run over him, she will, and then she will resent him.

On the one hand, I'm just a single guy; maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. On the other hand, I'm trying to think of the tangible benefits of the various political movements along these lines, and I can't do it. If women really need liberation from the patriarchy, why are so many of these "empowered" women so unhappy? I have read exactly one happy column from Maureen Dowd in 20-odd years. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Now, please don't hear what I'm not saying. I am not Ignatius J. Reilly; sometimes men are the problem. If you're not worth being around, and not worth following, women won't do it. They're just like anyone else in society. We know the type of guy: chattering on about "toughness" and "greatness," but when it all goes sideways, it's always someone else's fault. We've had enough of that, and lately.

I think sometimes trauma is invoked to avoid an uncomfortable discussion about what is true. It was just the other day: I saw a tweet that said, "Imagine thinking that it is OK to hear the gospel from a cartoon tomato, but not from a real-life woman." Maybe it could get some chuckles from a like-minded audience, but talk about a crude caricature of an opposing position! In the end, I don't care what Protestants do with regard to their own clerical states; I think that the non-sacramental nature of those offices makes it really hard to deny them in a principled way to women. But I'll tell you, I sympathize more with that traditional conclusion than I do with the argument. And you have to do better than that; I could do better than that, making an argument for the exclusion of women from the clerical state in a Protestant context, whilst sleeping, and I don't even care.

If you want people to take you seriously, take them seriously. And I daresay, I was much more polite than they deserved.

Maybe there was a trauma, that caused this one person to think that I celebrated or approved of whatever that was. But I told you exactly what I said. I didn't say anything else. I was pretty upset at the snarky husband, but instead of arguing, I put up the dictionary definition of "emotivism." Granted, I have a hard time taking Strachan or Fiene, or (ugh) Matt Walsh seriously, but somebody has to be respectable enough to be taken seriously as offering a non-egalitarian position in good faith.

In the end, maybe they just wanted to take some latitudinarian position, because that's how they've chosen to live. Maybe there is a sin of some sort, which disallows a good-faith discussion. On the other hand, that's only speculation on my part; it would be uncharitable to suppose that, in place of an argument itself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...