Skip to main content

Authority And The Rebuilding of The Christian Consensus

 As a simple explanation, the nature of the dispute between Protestants and Catholics can be illustrated by what we do with the creeds and councils. For the Catholic, the Nicene Creed is a definitive dogmatic declaration from the Church founded by Christ, concerning the nature of God and His work in the world.

The definition of Chalcedon more specifically focuses on Christology: the hypostatic union, the two natures--divine and human--united in the divine Person Jesus Christ. Again, for the Catholic, these definitions must be true, because God in Christ is protecting the Church which declares them. Likewise, the Holy Spirit takes from what belongs to Christ, and declares it to us, to paraphrase John's Gospel.

For the Protestant, the conclusions of these Councils are deemed true, and explicitly taught in the Scriptures. Since the Catholic Church believes everything she teaches is taught in the Scriptures, we have no cause to disagree. However, as we have argued for about 5 centuries now, there is nothing in the methodology of Sola Scriptura that leads necessarily--or even with reasonable confidence--to the orthodox dogmas. The blessed inconsistency of holding the orthodox dogmas in spite of the individuating chaos of the principle itself invites one to consider a return to the Catholic Church.

On another hand, Sola Scriptura subtly presumes that Catholic dogmas must be false, at least in their particularity. Think about it: An alternate methodology that led to the same conclusions wouldn't explain or justify new ecclesial bodies--let's call them churches, to keep it simple--proclaiming distinct dogmas. That is, the methodology creates new dogmas to justify its existence, but also as the fruit of the individuating principle.

To state it more positively though, no sensible person would accept a dogma from an authority he or she believed to be in error. The whole Catholic methodology is destroyed by any notion of dogmatic error. Dogmatically, the Church cannot err, from the Catholic position.

I still don't know how we have anything recognizably Christian, if--as the Protestant theologies would have it--every church or ecclesial body is subject to error. It can't actually protect people from errors rooted in our individuality without divine infallibility. Our imperfect humanity is actually the root of the problem, not our individuality as such.

The acceptance of Catholic dogma is inextricably linked with Catholic authority. No one is fully Catholic until they accept both authority and dogma, and to accept the dogma because the authority is vouchsafed by God Himself.

One bit of good news is that large swaths of dogma are shared between Christians. Large portions of Christian philosophy and ethics are not linked per se, to Catholic authority. We could probably re-claim the benefits of Christendom, if we remained committed to both the pursuit of truth, and the freedom of the conscience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Dear Alyse

 Today, you’re 35. Or at least you would be, in this place. You probably know this, but we’re OK. Not great, but OK. We know you wouldn’t want us moping around and weeping all the time. We try not to. Actually, I guess part of the problem is that you didn’t know how much we loved you. And that you didn’t know how to love yourself. I hope you have gotten to Love by now. Not a place, but fills everything in every way. I’m not Him, but he probably said, “Dear daughter/sister, you have been terribly hard on yourself. Rest now, and be at peace.” Anyway, teaching is going well, and I tell the kids all about you. They all say you are pretty. I usually can keep the boys from saying something gross for a few seconds. Mom and I are going to the game tonight. And like 6 more times, before I go back to South Carolina. I have seen Nicky twice, but I myself haven’t seen your younger kids. Bob took pictures of the day we said goodbye, and we did a family picture at the Abbey. I literally almost a...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...