Skip to main content
Let me preface this by saying that in all this time of theological exploration, I have never felt pressured or disrespected in any way. I think that's a two-way street; my new friends have seen I hope, that I have inquisited in an open-hearted way, and so have they. It doesn't have to be that way, and it often isn't. But I thought to myself, "What would it sound like, the same questions translated into Snark?" Yes, I invented that lingual designation. So, here are some pro-Catholic observations I have made, with snarky comments attached. They are as much things I have said to myself as anything.



5 Truths, Seconded By Snark



5. "I'll say this for Catholic sexual ethics: they are remarkably consistent." [Jesus is logical and coherent, no way! Never would have guessed!--ed.]


4. "Protestantism is seemingly hermeneutical chaos." [Duh! Why do you think we got off the sinking ship there, Sherlock?--ed.]


3. "I'm not sure Scripture is perspicuous." [We've been saying that for nearly 500 years; thanks for paying attention.--ed.]


2. "I have a sneaking suspicion that the Protestant formulations of the Lord's Supper are incorrect." [Yeah, it's called, 'History,' look into it.--ed.]

1. "The phrase, 'invisible church' just doesn't make sense." [I'm not even going to dignify this with a response.--ed.]

Comments

Unknown said…
4. So is Catholicism. So is every system. Nietzsche was peachy, but Satre was smarter.

2. Calvin does a better job than most.

1. Augustine might disagree with you.
Jason said…
Tim,

You have work to do to prove what you say in (4). I asked the Romish interlocutors if they thought their system simply moved the locality of the hermeneutical battle. They said it seemed reasonably clear actually, and when it wasn't, all the better to have a living Magisterium. In short, most dissent is traceable to sin. This is abundantly clear, they say, with Vatican II and Humanum Vitae.
Unknown said…
Very well. When we talk in person, I shall break apart the last semblances of ordered reality for you with my friend Jacques Derrida.

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...