Skip to main content
5 Sure Signs You Are Jason Kettinger

5. You buy 'The Blue Marlin' Nintendo game from some dude in Pennslyvania. That's right, Nintendo. [What are you, 6?--ed.] Yes, yes I am.

4. While reading the erudite encyclical Deus Caritas Est, wherein the master theologian-pope distinguishes between eros and agape with a skill that might even charm Hitchens and benefit all humanity if we followed his advice, you are not thinking about agape at all. Ahem.

3. When reading the same encyclical, a mention of Jacob's Ladder prompts you to sing "Jacob's Ladder" by Mark Wills, even though you hate every other song by Mark Wills. Don't worry, Anne; I know you won't click on the link anyway. But Jamie will! That song isn't about agape, either. "Late one night by the harvest moon..."

2. Discussing two of your favorite baseball players on your favorite team, it sounds like you are discussing a fish and a brand of peanut butter. (Let the reader understand)

1. You think Columbo is the greatest TV character ever.

'The Blue Marlin' Rant: This is the best fishing game I've ever seen. Unimpressive Nintendo graphics? Granted. Annoyingly hard at the beginning? Granted. Exausting? Definitely. And still, the second-best Nintendo game I know. It's a fishing game, for bait's sake! It better be fun! And it is. You're looking at me crazy. Fine; go play it, and then kindly SHUT YOUR YAPPER, 'cause I was right, wasn't I? It will: 1) Definitely convince you that you need to move to Florida; 2) Make you think you like fishing and 3) Make you lose weight, either because a) you burn calories in a futile belief that pulling your Nintendo controller like a fishing rod (don't laugh, it'll happen to you) will assist you in the game, or b) you are still chasing 975-pound marlins and sharks 13 hours and 47 Mountain Dews later. I'm just asking you to consider what is really important in life, because you won't remember, if you allow this menace/joy into your life. [You hate Mountain Dew.--ed] Yeah, well, you gotta do what you gotta do. Need to catch The Big One before the sun goes down! Oh, crap.

Comments

Unknown said…
I didn't click on the link.

I'm rather amused that you find 'Deus Caritas Est' so...enlightening. I would highly suggest C. S. Lewis 'The Four Loves' (Published in 1960 I might add).
Jason said…
Are you suggesting that Lewis' work might be *more* true or beneficial because it's older? I'm not sure I'm allowed to believe that. :) Har. Very Catholic argument, by the way. [chortle]
Unknown said…
I was actually musing over the fact that Lewis worked hard on this very topic a rather long time ago. Nice to see you Catholics catching on ;)

Also, I am surprised that you do not know the following:
http://www.zenit.org/article-15460?l=english

And lastly, Lewis' book is, in my opinion, more beneficial because he presents the definitions of each love as a "thought experiment." The silver-tongued debater wins over the reader not just with excellent examples but with sound reasoning.

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...