Skip to main content

The Problem With Protestantism, Part 3

In addition to the two problems presented by looking at Scripture in a deeper way, there is a third. Actually, the first two aren't problems; they're observations which present problems when their truth is acknowledged. The third is a bonafide problem: What does the Bible say? Even granting the fact that figuring out what the Bible says is not the entirety of what Christians are to believe, it's a very important question. So what method will you teach us so that we can know and do what it says? You cannot retreat to lexical and exegetical expertise, because nearly all interpreters have experts and schools where that expertise is taught. We cannot appeal to the Holy Spirit; anyone holding any position can appeal to Him whenever he wishes. We owe it to ourselves to rule out everything that is not unique or dispositive, and then examine the presuppositions undergirding the rest.

In fact, when we bring this problem into the ecclesial dimension of our Christian lives, we see the problem most clearly. What are denominations, if not authority structures to promote the favored interpretation? The biggest reason we cannot simply accept the reasoning that these formulations apply only to the people in those communities, and that the 'Church' is wider than one interpretation is that no one acts that way, practically. It's a restatement of what I said earlier: We need to know what God says in the places closest to our lives lived in order to be Christians. We've opted for a theological relativism in order to serve our ecclesiology. We have been unwilling to challenge the premise underlying that ecclesiology: that we possess the ability and the authority to decide for ourselves the content of revelation.

When we see the witness of history for what it is, it does not matter that Catholic doctrine does not appear obvious in its particulars from where we stand. Rather,--and this is a point often overlooked--what matters is that the new ecclesiology does not achieve its goal on its own terms. Call it the Presumption of Return; if we are not holding at least what we started with when we follow the paradigm to its logical end, it cannot be correct. We know that as Protestants we were the arbiters of revelation because our authority structures do not carry weight outside themselves, and our subjection to them is voluntary, and always contingent upon their agreement with us. This is the full implication of ecclesial fallibility.

If there is a distinction between doctrines outside the "tribe," and doctrines outside of Christ, it cannot be made clear from either the exercise of ecclesial authority, or the contemplation of the extent of that authority. When we talk next time, we'll talk about history and comparing paradigms.

Comments

Nathan said…
"We cannot appeal to the Holy Spirit; anyone holding any position can appeal to Him whenever he wishes."

What's wrong with everyone, everywhere, appealing to Him? Wouldn't there be a lot more truth in the world if we did?

I suppose you mean that anyone holding any position could say that the Holy Spirit agrees with them, even if they're lying or deceived. Well, so? Anyone could say the Catholic Church agrees with them, too. Of course, we would soon find out that they were wrong by consulting the Church herself. Similarly, we can find out if someone is making a false appeal to the Holy Spirit by consulting with the Holy Spirit. He is a real person, capable of communicating. Appealing to Him seems totally legitimate, and in my case it is even necessary to sustain faith. ("I am the vine and you are the branches" and "Apart from me you can do nothing." Jesus did not say that apart from the Catholic Church we could do nothing. He used the pronoun he used.) If I could not appeal directly to God and hear his response, I don't think I would be a Christian at all.

Some aspects of Cathoicism are beautiful and life-giving, but I don't understand why it is any better to appeal to an institution than to appeal directly to the source. I remain interested in your thoughts on this.
Jason said…
Nathan,

Lying or deception in regard to the Holy Spirit is not the problem, necessarily. It's a good faith dispute that causes the most trouble. God the Holy Spirit cannot inspire two contrary opinions on the same question at the same time. The Noltie Conundrum: http://www.calledtocommunion.com/2011/07/the-accidental-catholic/.

You are right that this is about Jesus and His Church. What is the Church? What does she believe? And how do you know?

"Come Holy Spirit! Fill the hearts of Thy faithful. Enkindle in them the fire of Thy Love. Send forth Thy Spirit, and they shall be created, and Thou shalt renew the face of the Earth.

Let us pray: O God, who instructed Thy faithful by the light of the Holy Spirit, grant that in that same Spirit we may always be truly wise, and ever to rejoice in His consolation, through Christ our Lord. Amen."
Anonymous said…
"The Noltie Conundrum". I like it! :-)

May I shamelessly borrow this, Jason?

-- Fred
Jason said…
Fred,

It's yours, my friend. I go back to your piece again and again.

Popular posts from this blog

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p
My wheelchair was nearly destroyed by a car last night. That's a bit melodramatic, I suppose, because it is intact and undamaged. But we'd left my power chair ("Red Sam" in the official designation) in-between the maze of cars parked out front of Chris Yee's house for Bible Study. [Isn't that a Protestant Bible study?--ed.] They are good friends, and it is not under any official auspices. [Not BSF?--ed.] They're BSF guys, but it's not a BSF study. Anyway, I wasn't worried; I made a joke about calling the vendor the next day: "What seems to be the problem, sir?" 'Well, it was destroyed by a car.' As it happened, a guy bumped into it at slow speed. His car got the worst of it. And this only reinforces what I've said for a solid 13 years [Quickie commercial coming] If you want a power wheelchair that lasts, get a Quickie. They're fast, obviously, and they're tanks. Heck, my old one still would work, but the batteries ar