Skip to main content

Ahem.

I should say that commenters should feel more than free to outline/articulate their own positions on a thing in the comments on any issue of interest, if something linked is judged to be unrepresentative. Let's do define terms, however.

Mathison, Redux: The only thing I could reasonably articulate when I read The Shape Of Sola Scriptura was:

1. Oberman's taxonomy would be damning if it were true;

2. I doubt Catholics conceive of the relation between Scripture and Tradition this way;

3. Even if I accepted it as true--which (2) would render uncharitable anyway, I have not learned anything Catholic that moves beyond the scope of Oberman's "Tradition-1." In fact, I related this all to Dr. Cross at the time.

N.B. I was not Catholic at the time, nor had I even read Mathison's Chapter 8 (if memory serves) where he expertly took down the "Solo Scriptura" position, and attempted to distinguish his position (Sola Scriptura) from that one. All that is to say, to say that Mathison has failed to distinguish them does not mean one is Catholic, nor that no other defense is possible.

But in fairness, I had already suspected that the ecclesiological-epistemic fig-leaf that is "derivative authority" was a distinction without a difference, in that the arbiter of the meaning and authority of the creeds was the individual. If that is true, its use as an ameliorative for the excesses of individualism in hermeneutics is cosmetic. Again, these conclusions have very little to do with the Catholic Church.

It only changes when one accepts the Creed/Council without qualification (without the implicit assumption that "Scripture" [according to you/me] governs its use) and traces both of those back to the episcopal college and its head, the Bishop of Rome. When one sees this, and accepts that the data of revelation must be mediated by him/them, and submits, then one is Catholic, and not before.

So, on a personal note, I don't think it's fair to claim that I must've decided to be Catholic, and that's why I'm so rough on Sola Scriptura or Mathison. And I'll try not to chuckle that you think your doctrine of Sola Scriptura is best represented by a Lutheran, rather than a Teaching Elder in your own tradition. Ahem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...