Skip to main content

Total Self-Giving In George Michael

[Sensitivity Warning: If sexual sin is a serious problem for you, or could be, don't read this post or do any related thing.] Yeah, you read that right. And I guess I should say that some of you are too young to even know who George Michael is. When I was a kid, he was a massive star. In some ways, when cultural critics complained about the degradation of our culture, they were blaming this guy. Fair enough; he deserves some of that.

Sex was/is a big part of what he sang about. And it could be blunt ("I Want Your Sex") and disturbing in many ways ("Father Figure") but even here, it is not without insight. When you listen to this, listen to how he describes what he wants, especially in the first verse. Friends, we shouldn't be afraid to say that total openness and intimacy is what we should experience in the marital act. Vulnerability, even. The culture's problem isn't that it doesn't see the power of eros; we definitely do, at least at first. The problem is that it never becomes anything else.

The picture of Christ's love for the Church in Ephesians 5 has to be an effective one if we are to understand. That's why the feelings and the pleasure are so powerful; when God is trying to say something important, He definitely chooses ways that work. It's an expression of his deep love and fullness. The special shame that comes with sexual sin is precisely because the end that the sin obscures is so good! We Christians are not ashamed of our bodies and what they do; God did that designing. But the Church speaks against anything that takes the gift and makes it an end in itself. When a person does this, they've changed the object of their own affection, and made it themselves. They don't even have another person as that object, limiting as that would be. A sign is not a sign if it stops pointing at something else.

Most of our "sexual culture" if I can call it that glorifies sex and pleasure as ends. Essentially, we're using each other to worship ourselves. And if there is anything good about seeking transcendence in sexual expression as articulated in popular music, at least someone is still aiming for transcendence.

We need grace and instruction to know that we'll never get there via lust, masturbation, pornography, contraception, and the rest. I think even pop stars like George Michael want to give themselves completely; they just don't know how. And if you've experienced some aspect of sex in any way that was pleasurable, it's like a drug. If you don't experience a Love that calls you into deeper communion that transcends the everyday, you might stick with the pleasure. I don't blame you. Pleasure is awesome.

I'm barely scratching the surface here, I know. In one stand-up routine, Bill Cosby recounted his wife's academic credentials, that she was excellent but not exceptional. Like her, I'm giving "an 85 answer." I'm that guy. If you need a better articulation, read this. [You're just trying to find something redemptive in George Michael because you are a huge fan.--ed.] That may be. But it doesn't mean it's not there to be found.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...