Skip to main content

I'm Not A Feminist

If I read another pointless article about evangelicals and feminism, I am going to freak out, myself. Look, evangelicals: You know what your problem is? You don't have the tools within your theology to articulate a healthy anthropology, so your borrow it hodge-podge from politics. This is what happens when you don't have the Church and its Tradition. This is why every evangelical sounds like he or she is trying to split the middle on everything. Secular politics drives the discussion, and not the other way around.

I'm not a feminist, but you'd think I would have to be, to read crap like this. Me just telling you that forces me to say that no, I do not favor/apologize for rape or any other thing. I don't have any idea how much money a woman working outside the home should make in comparison to a man. I may have political commitments which define what I will not do in terms of means in addressing inequities real or perceived, but the truth is, it's the wrong discussion. Here's what I want to know:

Why are you choosing to be defined by what you do and produce? I actually agree that feminism's main goal is the equality of the sexes. The question is, "To what end?" Is the destiny of any man or woman a boardroom? We have "equality," we are in a good place when the numbers on a check are the same for all? Look, I love capitalism and free markets and all that stuff. But what is the true purpose or end of it all? Surely "equality" is not an end in itself. Dare I say, neither are markets. Which means that in them or in any other thing, we celebrate their proper functioning for an end.

How much of the current debate between the sexes (or more accurately, about the sexes) is framed in the negative? "Freedom from oppression," "Freedom from sexual violence," "Freedom from male domination," "Freedom from feminism"? Freedom for what? I'd say we have achieved equality: equality in nihilistic misery.

And this author shouldn't think I've failed to notice that he's written for The Daily Beast. How many non-liberals get away with concealing their political ideologies when presenting their "Christianity?" Or do some of you honestly believe only "Right-leaning" politics should be purified by Jesus?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...