Skip to main content

Conviction Of The Heart

We live on a knife's edge oftentimes. The secret of the Christian life is that I'm not at all strong, and neither are you. We could smack around the Reformed all day long for their contention that the absolute necessity of grace implies soteriological monergism, (one of the biggest, unnecessary jumps in theology) but let's definitely recall that Jesus said, "Apart from me, you can do nothing."
Prayer is the means of co-operation with God. We will NOT be holy if we do not pray. It is also the means of communion with God, which is synonymous with holiness. God is holiness. It is that quality of otherness in which all other things find their intended ends.

Say what you will about the Protestant theologian Karl Barth; he was (unless he was the greatest liar I have ever seen) a man of prayer. That's why God is merciful: He's not into knee-capping those who seek Him with everything they have. Prayer is a communion of Love. Therefore, I was more right than I could have hoped when I said that liturgy speaks a language that bridges traditional hostilities. It must. The purpose of that "reasonable service" is adoration and communion with God. Theology cannot be limited to propositions to which men give assent, but they are useful because they give order to that which flows from prayer and loving communion. To do theology is to be willfully co-operating with God in our prayer, "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done."

Christian unity is an impulse that flows from the divine love. Don't be surprised if Love impels and therefore compels the discarding of propositions contrary to that impulse. We cannot love what we do not know, and so, we cannot do theology--whose ultimate purpose is to love God--from a place of skepticism. And the fullness of God's revelation to Man is the Incarnation. It happened in real history. Therefore, the study of history is and ought to be the study of the outworkings of the Incarnation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...