Skip to main content

Derek Rishmawy Is Still Awesome

Derek wrote a post about a question he asked Tim Keller, and it led to this from Rachel Held Evans. You all probably know that RHE riles me up. You end up some kind of "liberal" if you listen to her. But on the good side, she does help us find the limits of hermeneutics under the oppressive regime of Sola Scriptura. See, I believe RHE doesn't identify as a theological progressive. That's true. But for one, there is no way to know where you are in relation to some "center" if there isn't one. I digress.

But I read Derek's post and Keller's general comments in a different way: through the lens of virtue and vice. If you sin gravely (like say, sexual sin) and you repeat it, it gets harder and harder to think and act in the right way. You need a lot more grace to get back going straight. And that, I think, is the context which would lead Dr. Keller to ask a young person "Who are you sleeping with?"

Augustine's a rather excellent example, no?

Most of Rachel's questions most of the time illustrate that the Bible (interpreted by people, absent a charism) does not answer second and third and whatever order questions. A method cannot guarantee that you ask the right questions or get the right answers. What is "right" when the final arbiter of "what the Bible says" is me? I don't think every Episcopalian wakes up and says, "I'm going to disobey Jesus' word in favor of my socio-political commitments." I doubt I would even notice something amiss, if it happened slowly enough.

Being Catholic is great. I don't have to fear evolution, (to a point) and the Magisterium and the Tradition guide us in thinking about the great issues of the day. It's the Church, and aside from that, when she uses her gifts, it has innumerable practical benefits.

I should note that I do not have to say that Anne Frank or any other person who did not arrive at explicit knowledge or faith in Jesus Christ is necessarily in Hell. God knows, and rewards or punishes as He determines. That's liberating, as well. Would Rachel Held Evans be teetering on the edge of "liberal" Protestantism if she knew what the true Church has always taught?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...