Skip to main content

Liturgy As The Response To The Real

The liturgy of the Church is a public act; it is not a private encounter with God, though it is and should be deeply personal in many respects. I'm drinking from a fire-hose turned on by Ratzinger and others, and these thoughts are just beginning to form my heart, and to form in my heart. We cannot tolerate liturgical abuse, no matter how small, because of what it is: the in-breaking of Heaven into this world broken by sin, but beloved by God. Liturgy is not what we do for God; it is rather to enter into the reality of His redemption. If so, we cannot alter what that proper response is and should be, because to do this is to deny reality itself, in order to fabricate another one. We have to trust the Church, and to receive what she gives, even if it does not please us in some way, because it's not about us in the first place.

I have really begun to see what the ecumenical minimalism truly is: a denial of the reality of the Kingdom. If the Bible represents the story of the Kingdom/Church, the tragedy is that a story with so many shared elements fractures in as many ways as you can imagine. The anarchy of individualism conspires to obscure the plain fact that there is one God, one Kingdom, one altar, and therefore (essentially) one liturgy. It's the heavenly one that breaks in here, not the other way around. We cannot ascend to God, and we never could.

To frankly acknowledge the reality of competing claims to Christian truth and to judge between them is not to somehow desire a unanimity or certainty that is foolhardy; it is to insist that God is in the business of reconciling and making new. There is only one Church because there is only one King. We have to see Christian disunity for what it really is: competing liturgies, competing testimonies concerning Jesus Christ, the Word. For all the talk about appreciating "distinctives," it's someone's assertion that his are right, and yours are wrong. It doesn't matter how nice you say it. "Authority" and "history" is a shorthand way of saying, "There is more backing this liturgical claim than a bald assertion of correctness."

We do not do the works God requires of us by pretending that theological and liturgical choices are expressions of preference or cultural situation. "Who sent you?" is exactly the right question, and it always has been. How can a "Church" of one be the Kingdom of God?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...