Skip to main content

Opposites: Prayer And Pride

"No, we are not as strong/As we think we are." So said Rich Mullins. And he was more right than we care to admit. I was in a jam. A rut. It wasn't going to sound like a nun's confession, OK? It's been said that hearing the confessions of nuns is like being stoned with popcorn.

Have you ever said, "God, I don't want to need you as much as I do?" Pride goeth, and all that. And that's stupid. I also heard that communion with God is our greatest happiness. You know how it is, though. Sometimes, prayer fills our deepest longings, or so it seems. Other times, it's just a thing on a checklist. You hear a little voice that says, "Don't worry about it. You're doing well. Take a break."

I'm one of those people who wants to be strong. In control. In charge. I was not in control as I sat before the Lord's priest. Ironically, the biggest thing I have learned since I was received into the Church is that I am nothing. Every time I hear someone say that the Catholic Church practices a religion of self-effort, I just want to laugh in his or her face. Ha! Come in and find out. Are you kidding? True enough to say that we don't believe the exaltation of Christ requires the negation of self. Ah, but you do find out that self isn't much to write home about. Self needs grace, or self is doomed.

I don't know what I thought would happen, but I'm one of those people who really despises himself, in a way. There is always a part of me who thinks I will land in Hell on a technicality. I know there are no technicalities in God's case, but you still wonder.

He heard my words, and he put his hand on my shoulder. The one who is in persona Christi put his hand on my shoulder. Christ put his hand on my shoulder. Do you still want to know why we confess to a priest?

I don't want to need you as much as I do, but I'll take it if you are offering, Jesus. "My one defense/my righteousness/O God, how I need You!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...