Skip to main content

Poll Vault

In a previous poll, I wanted to know the religious affiliation (or lack thereof) of you, my 3 readers. So that poll question gave "Other" as an option. I found it curious how popular that was, because it tied with "Catholic". I suppose I could have mentioned other religions, but that's dumb. Come to a Christian/Catholic blog, and you ain't gonna find a whole bunch of sympathy for The Flying Spaghetti Monster, or whatever the kids are into these days.

The follow-up poll was:

"Other" means:

A. I will morally preen, pretending we have no biases/distinctives at all.

B. atheist.

C. pagan.

D. agnostic or undecided.

Winning that poll with a whopping 2 votes was "A". If you want the truth, I wanted to offend with that answer. I think of it as the Restorationist answer. It worked. I hope it did make you mad. I hope it gets you thinking about the arbiter/receiver problem, and frankly, if it is even a reasonable supposition that, from a Protestant/Sola Scriptura paradigm, "I am right, and others are wrong". The sheer magnitude of the pluralism, given the same paradigmatic assumptions and tools, gives this problem its weight. Do not mistake me: this is not a plea for unity, except perhaps very indirectly. It is rather like this: "Given that my hermeneutics are neither better nor worse than theirs, AND they also claim to be guided by the Holy Spirit, such that I have no real cause to question their sincerity, what does this say theologically and dogmatically about God?" You can create a magisterium of sorts of expertise and scholarship; you can ignore it; you can also vastly oversell both the extent and the basis of the alleged unity. The only other option, besides some combination of these three, is to ask, "What if the premise(s) is/are faulty?" What if the Scripture was never meant to be used in this way?" Yikes. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...