Skip to main content

Obama Drives Me Crazy, But...

I get him. I understand his intellectual universe, because I kinda sorta live there, too. I'll probably be a professor at some point, if God lets me hang out on this rock for awhile longer. Obama really is like a professor, for good, and for ill. Take a moment to live in the world of the intellectual, if you would. Intellectuals read books. They have conversations about stuff that ordinary people just don't think about most of the time. Not to say they are better or worse; they just are who they are. We absolutely need those people. Our leaders need them. And this is not to say that intellectuals can't make dire errors, because they can. They do, all the time. But let's take a moment to appreciate what we still do have in terms of intellectualism here, and realize that our president is a product of that. Considered by itself, this is absolutely a good thing.

His speeches felt like essays, in the early days. I could almost see the footnotes at the end of his sentences. I could tell that there were massive bibliographies behind the deceptively simple words of campaign speeches. We should expect this, no? The intellectuals don't just sit around and do nothing at our elite universities. Once again, this doesn't mean that Obama is right about any particular thing; in fact, we're on a very dangerous trajectory, and we have been for some time, in morality, in economics, in foreign policy. But it does mean that at some point, someone should say to the GOP, "You know what? It's time to stop taking the affectations of populism from the campaign trail into the policy drafting room." Any of us who would be leaders OWES it to the people to explain the complex issues at play for the average intelligent person. The Republican strategic problem has been that instead of doing this, they attack the intelligentsia itself, which is doubly stupid, because 1) progressives and Democrats don't have a monopoly on smart people in the first place, and 2) this allows them to portray conservatives/Republicans at best as well-meaning but stupid, and that quite successfully.

No, the real weakness of progressives and Democrats is that their intellectuals are arrogant and rigid. The patterns of politics have worn into the academy, such that, in many respects, the university is not really the place where the great matters of the day are discussed freely and truth sought; it's a place where progressive dogma is taught and perpetuated. But here's the kicker: We can still learn from them, as arrogant as they tend to be. That's the thing about intellectuals: When they are wrong, it affects everybody. Obama is hurting us because he stopped being curious, if he ever was. He is the product of a culture that believes it is right, and can't imagine any other way of thinking. You've had professors like that, I'm sure. You hit a wall, and you can't benefit any more, because your teacher refuses to himself be taught.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...