Skip to main content

Well, They Did It Again

The San Francisco Giants have won the world championship of baseball. I'm not happy about it; my praise will be grudging and sparse, and I make no apologies for that. My Cardinals were beaten by the lucky trolls, for one. And for another, just that: they were obscenely lucky. I still haven't figured out how they score runs; they don't really hit!

The ERA for the starters not named Madison Bumgarner was near 10; that's awful. The relief pitching was great, and obviously, it had to be. At this moment, I need to tell you how great Bumgarner really was, and is: he's played in 3 World Series, and he has surrendered about a quarter of a run per 9 innings over all of them. Forget winning; you're fortunate to score against him. When my profound distaste for them all wears off, I will say that it is one of the most impressive things you'll ever see in this game. He started and won games 1 and 5, and he pitched in relief 5 innings in Game 7. Two days of rest. He's the reason the Giants won, with all due respect. In one of those funny quirks of the game, the starting pitcher cannot be credited with a win unless he pitches 5 innings (among other things). In such a case, the official scorer has the discretion to decide who gets the win. It is customary that the relief pitcher who is in the game when his team takes (and holds) the lead gets it. In this case, the scorer's discretion was wisely used in awarding it to Bumgarner, though the Giants took the lead before he entered.

The other amazing thing is how little the Giants struck out. Strikeouts are extremely helpful to pitchers. In most cases, runners cannot advance when a batter strikes out. There are a myriad of ways to score on a batted ball, and pitchers know how reliant they are on their teammates behind them when that occurs. Though the relationship between winning and the raw total of strikeouts is tenuous--you can miss a lot of bats, and still lose--the occasions of strikeouts during a game can be crucial. For example, with runners on second and third, and less than 2 outs, a batted ball in play is likely to score the runner from third, even if it's not a hit. Sometimes, you just need a strikeout. The fact that the Giants rarely did is a big reason why they won.

I'm happy for Giants pitcher Tim Hudson. He labored 16 years in this game before he got even close to the World Series, and now he is a champion. A true gentleman, and a consummate professional. He leads all active pitchers in wins, with 214.

Congratulations to the Giants and their fans. You outlasted and beat this year's Team Of Destiny, (the Royals) and that is no small feat. You were not beaten by The Cardinal Way, and the best organization in baseball. You beat the team with the most wins in the National League, the Washington Nationals. You survived a one-game do-or-die with the troublesome upstart Pittsburgh Pirates, and their limitless optimist, manager Clint Hurdle. In the end, whatever I feel about it, I can't take that away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...