Skip to main content

What Is "Pastoral Theology," Anyway?

You hear a lot about how we need to be "pastoral" these days. What does it mean? Well, first know that the root of the word means "shepherd" in the language(s) from whence it came. At the most basic level in theology, being "pastoral" means to shepherd people toward God, who loves all of us more than we do.

The problem is that some people think "pastoral" means that we should hide the truth, or excuse sin, because the life God calls us to is too "hard" for some people. Or that our revealed truths are nice in theory, but not in practice. I couldn't imagine anything more wrong, or ultimately, more hateful.

Still others think that being "pastoral" is a cowardly set of actions, seeming to forget that our God will punish all evil and sin that has not been pardoned with unquenchable fire in the pit of Hell. They believe that we should simply preach the Catechism, and admonish whoever we find the same way: "You're probably on the way to perdition for these reasons, and moreover, Catechism XXXX says...etc."

Firstly, God really is Love. "A great high priest, whose name is Love, who ever lives and pleads for me," as the mostly-true hymn says. We can't even possibly belabor this point; there is no way. I'm getting emotional just thinking about it. The most unchanging and most important truth in the entire cosmos is that one. God is Love. Sit with that awhile; ponder the ways and times that you do not believe it. These are the places that God needs to touch, to heal. Out of our unbelief flows our sins; out of His mercy flows our hope and salvation. I think most of the preachers of judgment today have no real idea of this Love. True love and concern for souls would rather sacrifice one's own place in Heaven than see others judged: "For I myself wish that I could be cut off from Christ for the sake of my brethren..." says St. Paul. Do you really hear this from people? I confess, I don't love this way. Not even close. But it's a thing to which I aspire, by God's grace.

Secondly, what if you didn't know anything? Sure, you might be a rambling crazy-face, with an intuitive notion that things you've done and things done to you were subhuman some way. You might even yearn for better. But I'm guessing that at some early point you would have no idea where to even begin. What's a catechism? What's "hypostatic union"? Who is Moses, and most importantly, why does any of it matter?

Believe it or not, not all of us come equipped with theology degrees; we don't toss out fancy words, on the whole. We're just people. And now it's time for the definition. Get ready.

Pastoral theology is the science of translating the truths of God into words that can not only be understood, but so that the saving communion between God and each person can be cultivated. God desires to live in us, and through us, but no two are the same. If you speak the same way to everyone, not only will you not be understood, but the seed of God will not grow in some hearts. You will make copies of yourself, and not of Christ. Realizing this, I'd like to hear why some of you don't see a need to be "pastoral".

They say that the most recent Council was a "pastoral Council". What does that mean? I'll tell you. It means the bishops and the Holy Father(s) realized that all of humanity had become clueless, rambling crazy-faces, falling into a bottomless pit of sin and ignorance. You don't boom Thou Shalt Nots from the mountain in a situation like that. You've got to put everybody on the Rock, put up a picnic table, and start from the beginning. If you love people, that's what you do. The Grand Story hasn't gone anywhere; it hasn't changed. But we've changed. We've gone after the lost sheep, no matter how dark it gets, and how long it takes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...