Skip to main content

Good Job, Kenny

Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds won another Grammy for Best R&B Album for his collaborative concept album with Toni Braxton, "Love, Marriage, And Divorce." It's sad. But it's smooth, man. Toni hasn't lost anything. And with Babyface, you know what you're going to get: clean, chorus-driven pop that has at least as a 41.7 percent chance of being a game-changing song in any one case.

I know it was a hipster Grammy, but you can't go wrong with Babyface.

I think we're in a sentimental, romantic mood these days, as evidenced by the rise of John Legend, and that's fine by me.

In 2008, Usher did a song called, "Here I Stand," a deeply romantic ballad about permanence. They didn't even release it as a single, and it hit the top 20 because of radio airplay. Record labels, take note.

Comments

Unknown said…
JK, Statistics aside, what do you mean by a Babyface penned tune having "a 41.7 percent chance of being a game-changing song"?
Jason said…
Amos, I would say that nearly all Babyface songs are what the critics call, "pleasurable filler." (Which is the closest thing music critics come to a compliment.) His best songs make careers, and become signatures.
Unknown said…
I just looked through his Wiki page. (This is just a disclaimer that I'm not that knowledge about Babyface trivia.)

I think it's fair to say that he made careers for TLC, Usher, Toni Braxton, and After 7. He also helped take a number of artists to the next level, including Boyz II Men, Tevin Campbell, and Mary J. Blige.

But I don't think you can say that he built the careers of artists like Whitney, MJ, Clapton, Mariah, Vanessa Williams, Paula Abdul, Phil Collins, K-Ci & JoJo, Madonna, or Barbara Striesand - even though he may have written/produced one or two chart toppers for them. Many of those artists have been around for a while and have worked with numerous song-writer/producers, including Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Q, Jimmy Jam, R. Kelly, Dre, and P. Diddy Kong - or whatever he goes by now.

I'm not trying disrespect Mr. Edmonds. I just don't think he's R&B's King Midas.
Jason said…
Without Babyface, Whitney's career is a decade shorter, and she was a headlining star in 3 movies whose soundtracks were written by him.

Madonna's most commercially-successful song belongs to him. And the timing...let's just say she doesn't even release Ray of Light, or appear on the soundtrack of Austin Powers without that momentum.

We've never heard of Dru Hill without him. Not to mention Jon B. The impact is more massive than it appears.
Unknown said…
JK, Are you trying to pick a fight? Is that what this is about?

According to Wikipedia (three words that may bite me), Dru Hill had their commercial breakthrough and first number one hit before they met Babyface.

Whitney already had seven number one hits from her first two records, before she ever worked with Babyface. And I argue vehemently that the movie The Bodyguard and its feature song "I Will Always Love You" (that Babyface had nothing to do with) is what put her back on top. Babyface, who wrote almost the whole Waiting to Exhale soundtrack, simply utilized her popularity. To his credit, he did extended it by giving her her final chart topping hit in "Exhale (Shoop Shoop)", but that's about it.

As for Madonna, according to Billboard, her most successful song (based on charting) is "Like A Virgin"; another site lists her most commercially successful song as "Into the Groove". Kenny Edmonds was not involved in either of those. I think she's still touring for the same reason that Howard Stern's radio show is syndicated: vulgarity mixed with sex sells.

You are right about Jon B., though. Babyface was heavily involved in Jon's first album.

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...