Skip to main content

Farewell, And Thanks

The professor that taught my two favorite classes during my undergraduate days--L. Marvin Overby--taught his last undergraduate classes for Mizzou today. I have very fond memories of those 2 courses: Congress and Legislative Policy/Politics, and Politics of the American South. It was a memorable experience. I'm not sure he knew he was my favorite, because quite honestly, he scared the crap out of me at the time. It was like something out of a movie: the scary professor who'd shut you down if you weren't prepared, like an edgy, off-color John Keating. I can't really explain what that was like, except to say this: I never missed a lecture, and I never wanted to. This dude is a throwback to the days when a university and the exchange of knowledge was for its own sake. It was good, because it was the truth, and no matter how indirect, it's for the good of others. He's good at playing the roguish cynic, but really, some pretty high ideals are lurking behind the presentation. I'll never be anything close to a leftist, but Overby planted the seeds of the destruction of my arrogant pseudo-libertarianism of the time. And somehow, he did it without expressing any overt opinions.

Every time I see Senator Schumer (D-NY) I remember Overby, and I have to smile. I was complaining about the senator holding up some Bush judicial appointments (those were the days) before one class in some pretty harsh terms, and Overby said, "Hey, Schumer is a good man who does well for his constituents." I'm not sure why this stuck out to me, but it did. I don't think I've been angry at Schumer since.

One day, in the legislative policy/politics class, Overby was lecturing on the so-called "Matthew Effect," (see Matthew 25:29) in context, the idea that our system grants significant and actually useful amounts of power with fairly small shifts in electoral outcome. I had demonstrated some facility with the Scriptures in a class full of probable heathen, and he got around to saying--after a digression into the Puritans--"Mr. Kettinger, why don't you give the class a brief outline of Calvinism?" I tried to demur, because Reformed election isn't the sunniest topic to talk about, and he wouldn't let me! So there we were, discussing theology in a politics class. I hope people were uncomfortable, in a way. Young adults are so specialized today; they don't read things you don't make them read, and even then. I'd like to think he liked me, because I'm one of those people who absorbs information because it's there. The day I stuck up for Calvinism, after class, as I recall, he mentioned that his sister was a Methodist minister. An odd contrast, that. But that was another small lesson: However he'd chosen to live, we don't treat religion as trivial or unimportant. I appreciated that.

I enjoyed his class so much, I told my advisor Donna Hanly, (RIP) that he was the best lecturer I'd ever heard. Donna replied, "You're about the 150th person to tell me that."

So now he's off to Penn State University, and they are fortunate. Hopefully the bigger and better will include some undergraduate teaching again. People who can instruct and inspire aren't so easy to find.

Thanks, Professor Overby.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...