Skip to main content

Kicking Off A New Tag

I'm going to start a new tag called, "Observations." It's going to be what some call, "observational comedy." I could use a few laughs, and so I'm sure could you. The Editor is sure to make a few appearances. [What?! I mean, yeah, I wasn't paying attention. I was at the fridge.--ed.]

Anyway, have you noticed that a standard-size water bottle contains precisely 16.9 ounces? Not 16. Not 17. An integer would make too much sense. Can you imagine that marketing meeting?

"OK, people. We obviously don't use metric here in the US. How many ounces should we sell at the price we determined?"

"12!"

"16!"

"18!"

[pregnant pause]

"How about 16.9?"

"Genius!"

--
Now, some enterprising soul has noticed that 16.9 ounces is precisely 500 milliliters. So we've caved to our European betters after all. I have a couple of questions here, though. Does anyone know why we don't just go metric? Moreover, did someone study how much water people like to drink, and conclude that 500 mL was appropriate? Why not 503? We have 12 ounce, 16 ounce, and 20 ounce sodas. No one there worries that the volume in mL is not round. Why water?

Speaking of soda, the powers that be will sell them in any size you want, and oddly keep the serving size (1) the same, for the most part. That's not very helpful, really. They do it for the calorie and sugar watchers among us. But it's kind of insulting sometimes. Once I get to 80 percent or so of something the government says is "bad," I've left the compound. No one is buying Hungry Man or Banquet frozen dinners with a deep commitment to "healthy eating."

It's all garbage, anyway, those numbers. I sometimes laugh out loud. It probably would anger a cardiologist somewhere. Look man, I'm not trying to deface this temple, per se. But honestly, I think some of these "clean food" types are lying. You have not learned to appreciate kale, and I know it. Pizza Hut and Doritos taste good. You might be able to convince me to eat something else, but I will never say I don't like them.

On the other hand, I've become a foodie in some ways, a real snob. After a few dishes with words like "demi" and "reduction" in them, going to McDonald's is like buying a salt brick and eating it like a popsicle. I wonder if you can get that in the 16.9 ounce size?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...