My head is swimming with a lot today. I started the commentary on St. Mark’s Gospel today. It’s also my sister Alyse’s (June 11, 1989-April 5, 2023) birthday. It’s the first day of the FIFA World Cup.
I’ve got my all-time Spotify playlist playing as I compose this. Taylor Swift’s “betty” is playing right now. I hope she had fun at the Knicks game last night. I’m rooting for the Spurs, but credit to the Knicks for that epic comeback. Did I speak profanity whilst observing ESPN’s GameCast on my phone? Yes. There are no lies on the blog; I speak Swear better than I would like.
I had Roger Federer on my mind, because I love him, at least as much as I can love a stranger whose odd sporting skill and character I appreciate. Back in 2015, ESPN created a title screen/highlight package with a dance-pop song called “Something New” by the duo Axwell + Ingrosso. Every time I hear it, I think of Roger, doing Roger things. It made my Spotify playlist, too. I’ll still never be able to express to Tim Butler what watching Roger was like. He’s literally balletic. When he ran, he just seemed to float. Rafa Nadal, his great rival, ran about 3 times further in one match. Roger’s anticipation was absurd. The footwork was absurd. The shotmaking was absurd. The dude was an athletic physics violation, but he made it look like leisurely croquet in the garden.
Comments