Skip to main content

The Reason You Prohibit Things

 You want less of them. That’s the reason. You may find that it’s too hard to stop people from doing the thing, literally blood, sweat, and tears trying to prosecute people, but that’s a different thing.

We can decide that a pothead doesn’t deserve to rot in prison until he’s dead. Full legalization is a different matter.

Most people are stupid. Better said, most people are simple: if the government says something is OK, they do it if they want to. If it’s illegal, that’s all the coercion most people need to never do whatever it is. As much fun as it would be to play poker with Larry Elder, Neal Boortz, and the ghost of Ayn Rand, the charming belief that most people decide for themselves what is right and wrong regardless of what the government says is the most utopian nonsense ever.

Despite his liberalism, Ken Burns and his friends do the best historical documentaries I’ve ever seen. The one on Prohibition is amazing. William Wheeler, who spearheaded the effort to make alcoholic beverages basically illegal in 1920, was a legitimate religious zealot. To be as fair as I can, those white Anglo-Saxon Protestants did seem to have a serious drinking problem. It didn’t come from nowhere. Alcoholics Anonymous was founded around the same time. Fun fact: Bill W.’s sponsor was a Catholic priest. The seculars who claim that it’s a conspiracy to smuggle in their Christianity are likely right, though I have known a lot of AA participants throughout my life, and they are serious about not coercing people into religious belief.

Any story of Prohibition that’s true at all must inform us about the hypocrisy that was so prevalent at the time that it brought all law into question. Why? Adults are often just big kids. If you tell them they can’t do something, they’ll do it out of spite. On the other hand, the whole episode reflects what happens when you legislate without consent. Without buy-in, as the coaches call it, you can’t actually accomplish anything. Prohibition advocates were not only going against some of their own cultural norms, but trying to impose their norms on whole groups of people with other cultural norms about alcohol. Racism, xenophobia, and religious bigotry are also part of the story. Ironically, alcohol is regulated today more than Wheeler dared to dream.

Abortion is the gravest violation of human rights that has ever occurred. The numbers are staggering, so much so that a retreat to self-serving euphemisms and distractions is to be expected. Take genocide and turbocharge it with capitalism. I might sarcastically say that I found some corporations that leftists love, but this isn’t a time for jokes. We’re headed toward self-annihilation. Anyone who doesn’t say something is complicit.

More than 99 percent of them are completely elective, so I would say that concerns about the bad effects of legislation are valid, but 1 percent valid, at best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Dear Alyse

 Today, you’re 35. Or at least you would be, in this place. You probably know this, but we’re OK. Not great, but OK. We know you wouldn’t want us moping around and weeping all the time. We try not to. Actually, I guess part of the problem is that you didn’t know how much we loved you. And that you didn’t know how to love yourself. I hope you have gotten to Love by now. Not a place, but fills everything in every way. I’m not Him, but he probably said, “Dear daughter/sister, you have been terribly hard on yourself. Rest now, and be at peace.” Anyway, teaching is going well, and I tell the kids all about you. They all say you are pretty. I usually can keep the boys from saying something gross for a few seconds. Mom and I are going to the game tonight. And like 6 more times, before I go back to South Carolina. I have seen Nicky twice, but I myself haven’t seen your younger kids. Bob took pictures of the day we said goodbye, and we did a family picture at the Abbey. I literally almost a...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...