Skip to main content

Taylor Swift Thoughts

 (Note: The balance of this piece was published as a Facebook status first.)

People are free to like what they like, and not like stuff they don’t. And this includes Taylor Swift. Me personally? I love her music. But I have to object personally to the idea that her target audience is women and girls. I’m neither one of those things. And even if it were true, the men I associate with genuinely like and admire women and girls. We should be as offended by the idea that women are odd, or so different than men that never the twain shall meet, as we are that all men are violent monsters.

Anyway, I remember hearing Taylor at 16 on the radio giving an interview. Her first song “Tim McGraw” had just come out. The interviewer asked her who she wanted to write songs with. She said Craig Wiseman. That dude has some serious credits to his name, including helping Phil Vassar write his self-titled debut in 2000. And I can remember thinking, “This kid is gonna be huge.”

Right now, she’s the biggest draw in popular music, but fundamentally, she’s a songwriter. Yet she’s incredibly savvy. She understands the need for hits, but she has built her incredibly loyal following with introspective stories and vulnerability. A girl named after James Taylor had better know something about writing a song.

She’s helped me understand my own feelings and experiences. I couldn’t possibly agree that she’s the “apotheosis of mediocrity.” To me, that’s just sour grapes. It tells me that even an innovator who can bang on about “selling out” longs to be in the same spotlight.

The criticism of Swift quoted here comes from noted musician and producer Todd Rundgren, who originally wrote the song “Love Is The Answer” made famous by England Dan and John Ford Coley in 1979 and produced the experimental Daryl Hall and John Oates LP, War Babies, in 1974.

The work of music criticism—like film criticism—probably has an inevitably adversarial relationship with popular audiences. What is legitimately innovative is not always popular; what is popular is not always innovative. Frankly though, the only people in American popular music more popular with audiences than Taylor Swift are the Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Elvis Presley. It’s hard to be too upset at anyone for giving the audience what they want. And in her defense also, she’s often been the one to convince the audience that they want what she makes for them to hear. I have personally experienced a re-evaluation of her music with the passage of time, in a way quite similar to how popular success caused a re-evaluation of earlier work for Daryl Hall and John Oates in 1976, dating back to 1972. The LP H2O released in 1982 caused a positive re-evaluation of their work in the late 1970s. Todd Rundgren doesn’t have to like Taylor Swift, any more than I have to like the Backstreet Boys. But in a business made by audiences, in a real sense, the audience—the customer—is always right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...