Skip to main content

He Deserves A Real Answer

Monergism is a cruel mistress. It's fun to stay at the RCIA! [Terrible. Just terrible.--ed.]

Comments

That's an absurd example that I ended up breaking my moratorium on CtC to read... No thoughtful monergist would agree with that logic, obviously. I didn't realize where the link went! No fair! ;-)
Jason said…
It's not CTC.
Jason said…
Like "no true Scotsman"?
No, more of a straw man. I don't know of actual monergists who speak that way. I'm sure you could dig up someone, but if even the craziest, nastiest representatives are fair play, then I could do the same and everyone could spend all day arguing about our respective straw men that are not even sort of representative. It makes for a good laugh if you enjoy beating up on monergism, but doesn't forward the discussion.

My argument has always been we should argue against a debate opponent's best representatives, not their worst.
Jason said…
A "thoughtful monergist" is not a monergist at all, which is what he's trying to demonstrate. He's not representing a Reformed position; he's drawing a logical implication of it. It's a dilemma. You can't accuse someone of misrepresenting something you don't understand.
And what don't I understand? I suspect I understand a good deal better than you are giving me credit for.

My point is, this sort of attack is used against Augustine even -- I've seen people do it. But, it misses the mark. Note that the "thoughtful monergist" (let's call him TM) doesn't deny James's statement that faith without works is dead. Rather, the TM will argue that while the work all comes from God, the life that God is working in will show fruit. Saying, "Well, I'm forgiven no matter what, so I'll just kill myself and enjoy the afterlife" doesn't sound like a life showing fruit, so -- Biblically, speaking -- I would say that such a person is the seed that fell on the rocky soil, not someone who is actually regenerate.

That's pretty much what TMs have said over the ages.
Jason said…
St. Augustine isn't even close to a monergist.

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...