Skip to main content
It's not that I didn't enjoy Steve Ray's book Upon This Rock...because I did. It's just that mine was a long journey. I read that one toward the beginning. It seemed like he had an argument to settle with the fundies. He wanted me, in his text, to see the obvious truth of his conclusion. I wasn't ready to draw any conclusions then. But the book is great, because he does let the Fathers speak for themselves. Just reading the quotations would cause any reasonable person to wonder if has truly understood the Catholic position ecclesiologically and historically.
What I'm saying is that the evidence for this unique claim to authority is much stronger than I was prepared to admit at the time. It was all quite shocking, really. I could not think of a more sad commentary on the state of the Catholic Church in the US than this: I was surprised to find warriors for truth and holiness among them. More than this, I didn't think anyone cared enough about the truth--Christian truth--to offer it. They loved me enough to challenge me on my opinions. They believed what the Church taught, and they fought for it. Hard. I fought too, but I lost. And happily, at that. They didn't say, "I'm OK, you're OK, we're all OK." And you might think they'd back down, if you misread Vatican II and what it says about other religions and ignorance. They did not retreat to the odd entho-cultural enclave that is Catholicism and hope for the best. The Church really is the Borg Collective, only this time, the Borg win. And you don't lose your individuality; rather, you come alive.
I didn't know it, but I was fighting Jesus. I believed so strongly in parts of the things He taught us and who He is that I couldn't see other parts. I had to face the brutal reality of Sola Scriptura: that I was my own interpreter of what the Scriptures said, even as I invoked the Holy Spirit and belonged to a community that denied we were doing any such thing. What is really freeing is that, I can't be legitimately anathematized--God is not bound--by the determinations of a body that does not even claim to be the Church that He established! You wonder why I found it so easy to leave the PCA? Freeing for me, disastrous for you, in dogma and discipline. Or haven't you noticed? This 'catholicity' sounds great, until you can't truly (that is, in a principled way) distinguish between a disagreement between brothers in different visible expressions of Christ's invisible 'Church' and damned heretics and schismatics. Pardon the intrusion of that obvious truth. You end up sputtering, "But we really, really, mean it this time" as the dude leaves and starts his own "holiness chapel" with Arian bake sales and a harem of 30. But seriously, this means that humble theologians like myself start to wonder what the gospel itself is, if not enjoying the fruits of making it up myself.
But there is a modicum of creedal consensus, that is true. Which is not to say I agree with your minor edits and historical revisions. In fact, the clever ones are the fundies, who figured out that if me and the Holy Spirit can read the Bible, I don't need no bloody bishops, savvy? And then everything is on the table again, even if it comes out little by little. Welcome to Heresy Emporium, where the old hits are old but not forgotten! Don't blame me that the Reformer has no clothes. Whichever one or ones you prefer.

Comments

None of the major, respectable reformers would agree with the Fundamentalist position, however, so I don't think you really can tie them together.

Sheesh, if he hadn't been excommunicated for saying things that had been said before without significant opposition, Luther probably would have stayed Catholic.
Jason said…
I'm after the principled distinction between them; I know they're not fundies.
On the other hand, self-attestation, (entirely subjective) is very much in keeping with a radical position that could go anywhere.
Finally, that just isn't true. He was asked point blank whether councils could err, whether he recanted his views. And well before his excommunication. A saint came to talk to him, warning him about the results of his philosophy and doctrine. None of this was about corruption. Martin Luther was not excommunicated for whistleblowing; he was excommunicated for obstinately denying the faith (and schism).

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...