Skip to main content

The Rooftop Party

My friend Nick invited a bunch of us to the roof of his apartment. It was a cool night, but it was awesome. I rode with my buddy--we'll call him Johnny Irish--and we ate beforehand. We chose burgers and pancakes. That'll play.

It was nice to see so many friends. As is my custom, songs mark the time. As soon as I got up there, this popped in. This version kicks the mess out of even the recorded version James finally did in 1991. If I may turn this into an official aside, James Taylor is a legend not only because he is a great songwriter who made his bones before I was born, but also because he is gifted with a certain profound musicality. Not just anyone can do cover songs for 25 years, and get away with it. But he understands music in its essence. Masters make the best improvisers.

I did what I always do: tell stories. I like to make people laugh. It's not a time for crying. I'd like to think I'm pretty funny. But here is a profound mystery: The funniest people know deep sorrow. Have you noticed this? There is something about living with suffering; it deepens joy; it gives joy a place to rest.

Golly, I feel compelled to note that I know many beautiful women! And food is good. Sun is good. So many good things come in life. You wonder if you are sufficiently detached, like the great saints, because you enjoy those gifts. I do not live for this world. That is true. Yet I cannot say that I am sour here; I am not an escapist.

If it is possible to be a "Christian hedonist" without landing in Hell, then that is what I am and aspire to be.

O Lord, thank you for these great gifts. I offer You my joy, hoping to find You there along the way to eternal life. Bless all who read this through Christ, who lives and reigns forever, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...