Skip to main content

These Are The Dudes We Should Follow

Let me back up a step. It always seemed like during my journey ["Streetlight...people, livin' just to find emotion..."--ed.] that theological discussions would quickly move to, "Calvin said..." or the Westminster Confession of Faith says..." and while that is not inherently problematic, even under a Sola Scriptura paradigm, it presumes that whomever we cite should be listened to and followed. One thing we always ignored was the fact that many of the people we cited as authorities worshipped God in different Christian communions separated from one another! And if we cited those people from the Reformed tradition, it still assumed that the Reformed tradition was correct.

Intellectual honesty demanded that I not assume anything. There was a powerful instinct and desire to get to the question behind the question: "Who sent you?" Why should I believe doctrine x and not doctrine y? I do charitably assume that any man or woman who proposes something I should believe does so because he wants me to know God. Moreover, I assume several more things: that a major figure in Christian theology and history has influence, defenders, and has said something true. I shouldn't have to say this.

If I may speak directly, it is unwise to assume that I have not read something because I disagree with you, who cite it as an authority. And I cannot short-circuit that question behind the question, restated: Did this person and his ideas come from God? If we want to have a discussion about Luther, or Calvin, Barth, Bucer, or whomever for awareness or education, that's fine. But I don't care what they said until they answer the first question, as a person seeking to know the will of God and do it. Mr. Carmack and Mr. Ford, take note.

I did this to the Catholic Church, too: I separated the early Church from the Catholic Church today; I did not assume anything. The only good reason to be Catholic is because you see that the Catholic Church today is organically one and the same with the Church of the New Testament, and the Church of the Fathers. Period. Save your smells and bells and psychoanalysis; I am Catholic because I had to be.

The very visible and tangible flesh of the Incarnate Word himself demands that the investigation of his doctrines be historical in nature. We are investigating His own faithfulness through time! Dare I suggest therefore that the Church he gave us be as visible and tangible as he?

Comments

Unknown said…
This post has a G. K. Chesterton flavor to it. Especially "I am Catholic because I had to be." However, I am not sure why an organic continuity with the early Church proves that an institution is sent by God, especially when many of its policies and deeds for hundreds of years afterward seem to prove the opposite.

Why should we be connected to the early Church by continuity of tradition rather than by the Holy Spirit and the doctrines of what Paul called The Way?
Nathan Hall said…
This post has a G. K. Chesterton flavor to it. Especially "I am Catholic because I had to be." However, I am not sure why an organic continuity with the early Church proves that an institution is sent by God, especially when many of its policies and deeds for hundreds of years afterward seem to prove the opposite.

Why should we be connected to the early Church by continuity of tradition rather than by the Holy Spirit and the doctrines of what Paul called The Way?
Jason said…
Nathan,

Sin is institutional only insofar as it is personal. The existence of a failure to live out a gospel imperative does not thereby prove those imperatives--nor those who proposed them--false. When we also recall that the claim of both the medieval Catholic Church and the Reformers was the same--that they had more faithfully preserved the ancient faith--organic unity is precisely at issue. Appeal to the Holy Spirit is not dispositive in interpretation, because everyone appeals to Him. And there are learned experts on every side.
Lauren said…
Yes, you dare say it. :) I was just having a conversation the other day with a dear friend who is (with her husband) Orthodox. (And being so well, studied, I'm sure you know that Catholicism stemmed from Orthodoxy). We were talking about sainthood and how that works - differing, perhaps, opinions on divinity and who we should pray for and to whom we should pray (are "dead" people just asleep? Do they have a chance to still call upon Christ before he comes again?). I challenged that by saying, "Is there any place in Scripture where God tells us to pray to anyone other than Him or Jesus? Or on behalf of anyone who is 'asleep.'? (aside from Lazarus, etc who he raised from the dead as a miracle)... Our conversations are not finished, but I refuse to take on any belief or just say, "Okay, that sounds lovely for the two of you. I'll be over here with my doctrine..." without having first questioned and examined. Yes, there is an air of mystery about the Lord. We will never know all of his ways. He is God. However, he gave us discerning minds for a reason, to examine his world and his Word and thus become more thoughtful, knowledgeable, and deeply rooted followers.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Jason said…
Lauren,

Thank you for this comment, and for your generous comments about the blog. I hope you and Brian are doing well.

Given the fact that both Catholicism and Orthodoxy base their claims to authority on the same thing--apostolic succession--you just have to see for yourself if Orthodoxy really did come first. (Short Answer: No.) But they have true sacraments and clergy, in the Catholic view.

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...