Skip to main content

Galatians 2:15

This is the verse that will mess with your paradigm. One verse, and it basically vindicates the heart of what we used to call the "New Perspective On Paul": A good first century Jew was no sort of legalist. To the text! I'm going to include verse 16, and comment on other verses, as well:

"We ourselves, who are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners, 16 yet who know that a man is not justified[a] by works of the law[b] but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ, and not by works of the law, because by works of the law shall no one be justified." (Gal. 2:15-16, RSV) 

He's talking to his fellow Jews here, and he's synthesizing what he knows from the Old Testament with what Christ gave him. Jesus must have believed it was graciously possible for anyone who read or heard the Scriptures up to that point to receive Him; otherwise, why come at all? To say nothing of his frustration at the lack of faith he finds. And here's the big key: Most of Jesus' audience, and most of St. Paul's, is Jewish. So, when he says, "works of the Law," we've got to read that how they would have read it: as referring to the ceremonies with which they were all familiar. What exactly is wrong with Jesus' opponents in the New Testament? Not that they followed rules, but that they understood their faith and redemptive history in such a way as to reject Jesus. And this has a practical application, friends: Rules without the gracious context of redemption are empty and useless. Remember what St. John told us in his Gospel: "He came to his own, but his own did not receive him." We've got to be clear on this very point: The Pharisees and others didn't simply reject Jesus and His New Covenant; they twisted the Old one, also. That twisting has a legalistic thrust, to be sure, because outside of God's grace, legalism will be all you have.

What implication does this have for Romans 3? A huge one. Frankly, Luther had no idea what the text really said. Your key verse there is Romans 3:29. Read that about 5 times, and realize that he's saying the same thing he's saying here: Salvation is not just for the Jews! It never really was. And this means that we've got to have the New Testament faith/works discussion in the real context of the New Testament, not in that of Luther's prejudice and theological reductionism. N.T. Wright may not like the implications of his work, but the truth is, the Protestant Reformation was built on Luther's prejudice and theological reductionism. Clearing that away is bound to have ecclesial implications.

Comments

Brian O said…
Exactly right. It is a Jew/Gentile argument throughout the NT not a Catholic/Protestant argument. Approaching the text with the latter in mind results in misunderstanding.

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...