Skip to main content

Men In Black, Pathos, And Being A Teacher

 Tommy Lee Jones, if memory serves, is an Academy Award winner who has been charming audiences for ages. He’s probably best as a police officer or a soldier, ordinary guys forced to be extraordinary and heroic. He’s one of my favorite actors. He’s been the big lead, but he’s a character actor, and that’s probably the highest compliment I can give as a film and television patron.

Men in Black (1997) is a sci-fi buddy comedy that has way more pathos than it has any right to have. The sequels are still watchable because of Jones and the great Will Smith.

Agent K (Jones) convinces Smith’s NYPD detective James Edwards to join MIB. Edwards finds out that he’ll never see family or friends again, and it will be as if he never existed. It’s a heavy moment, and Agent K gives him until sunrise to decide. Edwards asks, “Is it worth it?” K answers, Oh, yeah. It’s worth it.” He pauses for a beat as he’s walking away and adds, “If you’re strong enough.”

Someone added that clip to a reel showing a school hallway. And added the caption, “What it’s like being a teacher.” That’s the truest thing I’ve seen for a month. 

On the one hand, it shouldn’t be as hard as it actually is, and that’s someone’s fault, above the classroom teachers. On the other hand, a lot of people are probably sick of teachers bellyaching. I’m not a hero; I’m just a guy. Even so, it’s absolutely the most noble thing I have ever done. Sitting on the sidelines now for health reasons gives me a lot of time to re-think particular strategies, mistakes, and lots of other things.

John Madden, legendary NFL head coach and TV analyst, once said that playing one down of NFL football changes a person in such a way that they are not the same person. Well, I have precisely 2 years and 56 days as a classroom teacher, and I have never seen or read a better analogy in my life. Folks that have done it longer and better can say whatever they like. Folks who haven’t done it at all, I invite them to sit down and shut up.

This gloriously pompous title is an attempt to get people to click on this post. You know, on the off chance that I say something interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...