Skip to main content

You’re Not A Lay Minister; You’re Deputized To Assist The Clergy

 The official terms liturgically are that bishops, priests, and deacons are the “ordinary ministers of Holy Communion.” Anyone else who helps in this way or in any other way is an extraordinary minister. Respectfully, in an ideal scenario, you wouldn’t be there. So please do it reverently and efficiently by all means. But ideally, the faithful shouldn’t notice you.

It is also the case that people with bad motives and the ignorant use the provisions and permissions for less-than-ideal situations to introduce their wrong ideas into the liturgy. More than a few people need to hear, “Hey friend. You could literally go to Hell for stuff like that.”

“Active participation” does not mean, “As many of us as possible need to do stuff in the liturgy.” It means that we know the significance of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. We are trying to be prayerfully aware of what the priest is doing, and to offer our own selves as distinct sacrifices to God. This is where the “and yours” in the vernacular of the Mass of Paul VI is a bit imprecise in English: there are two distinct types of sacrifices going on: the priest offering Christ, and the laity offering themselves. If we’re not really paying attention, we could think we’re helping the celebrant with the Sacrifice. Sentimental, but wrong.

But a note on altar girls and lectors of both sexes: I don’t care. We’re absolutely not getting that toothpaste back in the proverbial tube. There is no obvious and direct relationship between being an altar boy, and being a priest. Earlier generations, maybe. But any kid is going to understand that the liturgy, humble as it may seem, is the most important thing we will do in any given week, on any given day. That is, if we have a faithful priest. For those who attend a Traditional Latin Mass, I do think we need to affirm girls and women in the life of the parish more. Submission to men relative to second and third wave feminism might be important, but we have a worldly hypermasculinity and misogyny just floating around in our culture. We absolutely cannot just say, “No enemies to the Right of me” in politics, and hope for the best. Fr. Ripperger is walking into chapels with quasi-military weapons, for Pete’s sake. We’re gonna own the libs and still lose our souls.

One more thought on aesthetics and beauty in the liturgy: Someone might have been scandalized by liturgical abuse and frivolous music, and that’s a true reality. I heard a Gloria setting that precisely recreates the theme music from the kids’ cartoon My Little Pony. It’s a perfectly lovely show/franchise, but it’s all I can do not to laugh every time it happens. I heard a responsorial hymn/song that probably should be sued by Barry Manilow. I laughed that time. I’ll be OK; if you’re gonna get the giggles, Divine Mercy Sunday is maybe the best day to do it. But we can do better than that. I can always play my Manilow after Mass. But we invented Gregorian chant. Have you heard it? They use it on TV to symbolize holiness and Heaven for a reason.

I will say that we have to be intentional. And that cosplaying and nostalgia aren’t enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Alyse

 Today, you’re 35. Or at least you would be, in this place. You probably know this, but we’re OK. Not great, but OK. We know you wouldn’t want us moping around and weeping all the time. We try not to. Actually, I guess part of the problem is that you didn’t know how much we loved you. And that you didn’t know how to love yourself. I hope you have gotten to Love by now. Not a place, but fills everything in every way. I’m not Him, but he probably said, “Dear daughter/sister, you have been terribly hard on yourself. Rest now, and be at peace.” Anyway, teaching is going well, and I tell the kids all about you. They all say you are pretty. I usually can keep the boys from saying something gross for a few seconds. Mom and I are going to the game tonight. And like 6 more times, before I go back to South Carolina. I have seen Nicky twice, but I myself haven’t seen your younger kids. Bob took pictures of the day we said goodbye, and we did a family picture at the Abbey. I literally almost a...
Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

A Friend I Once Had, And The Dogmatic Principle

 I once had a friend, a dear friend, who helped me with personal care needs in college. Reformed Presbyterian to the core. When I was a Reformed Presbyterian, I visited their church many times. We were close. I still consider his siblings my friends. (And siblings in the Lord.) Nevertheless, when I began to consider the claims of the Catholic Church to be the Church Christ founded, he took me out to breakfast. He implied--but never quite stated--that we would not be brothers, if I sought full communion with the Catholic Church. That came true; a couple years later, I called him on his birthday, as I'd done every year for close to ten of them. He didn't recognize my number, and it was the most strained, awkward phone call I have ever had. We haven't spoken since. We were close enough that I attended the rehearsal dinner for his wedding. His wife's uncle is a Catholic priest. I remember reading a blog post of theirs, that early in their relationship, she told him of the p...