Skip to main content

20-Something Federer Was A Beast And A Savage

 When he played that 2007 US Open final against Novak Djokovic, he’d just turned 26. (Born August 8, 1981) I took him for granted in these prime years. We’re so used to speaking of his elegance and shot-making, but that narrative was cemented by him in his 30s and 40s, when his anticipation and variety hid the downtick in the savagery of his athleticism. You have to go back that far to find Novak Djokovic out of sorts. Roger was behind the whole time, but he knew the younger Djokovic would crack. This title was during his run of 5 consecutive US Open championships. When he lost to his rival and good friend Rafa Nadal at Wimbledon in 2008, Federer was contending for his sixth title there, consecutive. Remember that he won again on the grass in 2012, and again in 2017 (!). Even so, he lost 3 times to Djokovic there, culminating at Wimbledon 2019, at age 38, when he needed just one more shot to win his 9th title at the All England Club. The GOAT argument cannot be settled, and it never will, because veteran Federer was like a real-life Rocky movie.

Just watch the tape of this. Against all but the very best, young Roger was like fighting peak Ali in the ring. You’re probably gonna feel depressed and hopeless. If he weren’t unfailingly kind, he’d have been despised. Let Andy Roddick tell you how pointless it was, trying to play him, but trying to manufacture a dislike that would propel you to victory. Roddick is probably Roger’s biggest cheerleader today. Because Roger is a guy who texts the guy he just beat at the pinnacle of the sport, to let him know that he knows the pain of effort and the sorrow of losing. And he’s here if you want to talk. Andy Roddick was the best in the world, number 1 ranked and the last American to win a major championship, 23 years ago. He’s not some charming underdog who made good. He’d embarrass even solid pros 5 or 10 spots down. He’s a legend in his own right. It’s hard to explain it. But Federer, Djokovic, and Nadal created peaks never seen. They spoiled us; they’ve hidden from us the difficulty and brutality of the sport by the magnitude of their dominance.

Djokovic at 39 has few peers. What, he’s past it because he can’t beat the Ali and Frazier of this decade, Carlos Alcaraz and Jannik Sinner? C’mon, man! I don’t even root for him, but I know he can trounce the rest of the top 30. I don’t think a more ruthless meritocracy exists than professional tennis. Roger Federer is fully 45, nearly retired 4 full years. One coach said Federer could beat 80 percent of the top 100 today, with no practice. If we credit Federer for being the only peer for the great Djokovic all the way until his 40th birthday, how great is Djokovic? The young generation can’t stay with him, save those top 2, both injured in turn, allowing Alex Zverev, a criminally underrated German nearly 30, to win two majors this year.

I have said before that Carlos Alcaraz is like a frightening combination of the three legends of the recent golden age. Sinner meanwhile looks in real time like a VHS tape on fast forward. You don’t need to be the fastest to be the best, but it helps, doesn’t it?

Time marches on, but it remains for the experienced to teach the young reverence for the game, and to revere those who brought it here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...