Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, Brett Favre!

 I never want to forget that he was my favorite player. Tom Brady eventually inspired joy, awe, and respect, and few dare even to doubt his place in the GOAT discussion. But before Brady, there was Favre. He was literally the people's quarterback. Even the fact that he's the all-time leader in interceptions thrown didn't seem to bother us. I think I liked him more.

By the way, I feel the same about Favre as I do President George W. Bush: Don't bother me with criticisms, because I don't care. I'm not his priest or the pope. Mrs. Favre hasn't abandoned him, so I figure I don't have to dig deeply into his life.

I usually don't get down about being disabled and a wheelchair user anyway, but Brett made me forget it all, anyway. And if it was effective propaganda, it worked. I felt a part of every success he had. With apologies to Peyton Manning, Brett Favre should have been the NFL MVP in 2009. If memory serves, he threw 33 touchdowns and 7 interceptions, with more than 4000 passing yards at the age of 40. A short time later, Favre was the only current NFL player to be a grandfather. Brady played well past 40, and he's earned every accolade. But if Brady could play to 45, it's because Favre was the last quarterback the defense was allowed to try to kill. Jim Kelly and Brett Favre: the toughest quarterbacks I've ever seen.

Brett is living with Parkinson's disease now, and I should pray for him. That's way worse than what I have. He and Alan Alda: two wildly different famous guys living with the same thing. Friends, both, in a way. Favre won a Super Bowl and played in two others, and 3 MVPs. He entered the NFL when I was 11, in his prime when I was a teenager, and finally left when I was 31. He's literally the NFL equivalent of Cal Ripken, Jr. in addition (like Cal) to being bigger than the streak.

Thanks, Brett.

(A previous version of this post misstated Favre's touchdowns and interceptions in 2009. I regret the error.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...