Skip to main content
I'm blogging with nothing in particular to say. That never ends well. But writers write. [And fighters fight.--ed.] Did you just quote "Rocky Balboa" at me? [The real end of that saga.--ed.] I agree. The fifth should not have been made.

I went to bed a little mad last night. Nothing new happened. Just lingering things. I try not to think about them, but I do. Everyone can say there are things they'd do differently. But the mark of a good character is that you admit mistakes, and try to correct them. If you can look yourself in the eye, look God in the eye, and say that you are the same person fundamentally that you appear to be to others, it's a good life.

You can't control what people think or say about you. It hurts sometimes. A lot. Because people matter. Anyone who says, 'I don't care what people think of me!' is saying the opposite. And probably hiding deep pain and guilt.

I digress. God is the friend I talk to most often. I have other friends, and that's good. But I really want to be able to say that my closest friend is God. I'm a pretty simple man, so right now, I feel like my life is not terribly interesting. Do I really understand what I ask for in prayer? No. Do I think I know God at all? No. I know things about Him. The only thing that keeps me from admitting myself to the crazy-bin on suspicion of talking to myself is Faith. My faith is almost like a tangible thing, like a blanket or something. Whenever I hear the voice that says, "Praying is pointless; this life is all there is" another voice says, "But God is Love" or, "Jesus rose from the dead" or something. Every time. So then I exclaim, "Well, then, who cares what it looks like! This could be like the old Transformers movie from 1986: everything sucks for 97% of the story, and then right at the end, the good guys win." [Did you just compare the cosmos and the spiritual life to the Transformers movie?--ed.] I believe I did. [This is what praying to Mary gets you.--ed.] Exactly. [You missed my point.--ed.] I know. Your points lead me into schism and worse.

I guess it seemed good to say something about something. I think I'll find myself some good human interaction today. Most of us aren't super-saints; we need to see the Love of God in the eyes of a person. Or in the voice, if you like.

Well, if you are snickering at this bit of wisdom (such as it is) because it came at a high price (that is, I am the one who exacted it), I can only ask for your mercy. One day, we'll all be drowning in an endless vat of Mercy, but we won't drown. I hope I make it. But God-willing, I'll see you there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...