Skip to main content
I'm sitting here on the verge of what could be a very important day, and it causes me to reflect on those times when what I wanted got in the way of what is best. We've all been selfish before, and we've all made complete fools of ourselves. And I still feel the pain of having done that once, and forgiveness and reconciliation were not forthcoming. Maybe they will never be. And on the one hand, I was wrong; I made a mistake. There's no hiding it. And my insecurities as a person I tried to hand off, even blame, on someone else. Even if I hoped to find support, it was a lot. It was too much.
I absolutely meant what I said in my apology written here, and I still do. And even though I'm ready and willing to wait until the New Heavens and New Earth for that reconciliation to come, it obviously still bothers me really deeply. Or I wouldn't be talking about it.
And I do need to say I'm angry about it. I'm proud enough that my reputation means a great deal to me. In my anger, I could pretend that this false opinion, this impression, this breach has no impact on me, but it does. To be frank about it, there hasn't been a day when I haven't thought about it. The deep mourning has subsided, largely. But the scar abides. There isn't a single day I don't hope for a postcard, or a call, or something. Even if I think that person has been unfair. Even if my hurt and anger wouldn't be far away. I've been gifted with the tendrest of hearts, and a gift for expressing what that heart feels in words. (I think.) You could not imagine what I would say, the sorrow I would express! Probably that letter will end up in a book, but it will be written, I'm simply warning you all now. Probably on the lips of one of my characters. But it will be spoken.
You do not know how many times I thought to rebel, to break the silence imposed upon me. But I haven't, out of respect. And so many times, I wanted someone other than God and the saints to share the hurt with, but there are too many bonds between us; it wouldn't be fair to any of them.
It might even be risky to write it here, but this is Jason Kettinger, relatively unfiltered here. If I can't say it here, I can't say it even to myself.
It happens to everybody, they say. Losing friends. But not to me. At least not before this. And I really don't know what to do. The world really does look a lot drearier now; there is less joy in my heart now. I don't mean to scare you; I'm just being honest. When Jason Kettinger says, "friends forever," he bloody well means it. It's not a yearbook quote, it's the truth. So a part of me has died, but I still live. I just need to say that the pain comes from the hope, and the laughter that was mine in better days. I can picture what I'd say, what I'd do if I could. Do you remember how Joseph couldn't control himself in the presence of his brothers? He wept as only one or two others ever have. So I would be. My heart betrays me even now. Maybe this has become that letter.
I hope and pray that this suffering is useful to You, my Lord Jesus Christ. It is but a pittance compared with the rejection that you felt at our hands, but it is real. Please bring someone joy and comfort by this suffering. Please bring comfort to my friend. Please give me the right words for this other task. Come quickly, and don't leave me behind. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...