Skip to main content

Offer It Up

I missed a chance yesterday. God was calling me to pray. He knew I was angry. Meanwhile, our friend John is going through some health difficulties of a very serious kind. Other friends took it to the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament. Anyway, it was the perfect chance, even while not being able to make the Holy Hour. And I missed it.

On the one hand, it's stupid to be angry about this. It's over. It's done. And I guess it was my fault. And you can say anything you want about how the words I said really hurt, etc. and how I'm not who you thought (even though that isn't true). But you will never get me to say that I'm a bad person. I can't do it. I know my character. And so, I'm still angry about it.

I think I'm angry in an acceptable way, because I don't wish ill on anyone. Far from it. I hope for everyone the best. Especially if you're here. I really do value whatever time you spend reading my incoherent blatherings. That's truly what they are. Everything I produce on paper concerning God or theology (or anything else) comes by here first. I don't spend a whole lot of time crafting these posts; just what it takes to produce them is all I use. I have self-edited from time to time when I thought something was too caustic or not with a good purpose, but that's as I go.

Anyway, I just thought you should know. On the good side, I didn't miss my chance entirely, because I prayed for John again before I went to sleep. Still, to offer Him my anger and sadness right as I was feeling it would have been better. On yet another hand, I feel it every day, so it's in the offering if I pray even once. I'm sure Jesus loves receiving gifts of anger and frustration, but that's what I have.

I am a person of words. Words are my life. I've given poems as wedding gifts. I would have made a sooner start on writing as a career had I realized it. Honestly, I thought everyone wrote poems and songs when the fancy struck. It doesn't mean you should make it a life. But then, that providential day in the classroom of Dr. Donald Guthrie...He has no idea. We're not Facebook friends, and I didn't tell him. How would I have known? Esther, too, she doesn't know. I digress. [She does now.--ed.]

Words are powerful. Maybe among the most powerful things in the universe. Bob Dylan is a musician. I don't know how good he is (and apparently, people debate this), but I do know he is famous for his words. Reagan? Words. Examples are plentiful. I have hurt others with mine, obviously more than I could realize or understand. I didn't set out to do it, that's the truth. But I have been hurt, too. And in this case, I don't think it's fair that this hurt--my hurt--goes unacknowledged.

O God, I offer You all this--the joy of words, the hurt, the broken friendship, the anger it causes--all for John and his healing. I offer it through Christ, the Prince of Peace, who lives and reigns with You, Father, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...