Skip to main content

Federer: The Legend Continues

I watched Roger Federer lose to a Ukrainian from outside the top 100 in the world rankings, in tennis' premier tournament, Wimbledon. That is an event that the 32-year-old has won a record seven times, a substantial chunk of the 17 'major' championships he has won, also a record. The thing that is mind-blowing is that Federer is 3 clear of Hall of Famer Pete Sampras, who also won Wimbledon 7 times. Greater still is Federer, who entered this year as the defending champion. Never before has anyone seen a fading champion who was still such a threat even now to win the biggest contests in the sport. If it is indeed true that another major triumph would be pleasantly and mildly surprising, it must be admitted that we are witnessing the greatest sunset in the history of sports. He has indeed earned the deference given to all legends, but not only that. His still prodigious skill merits respect and awe.

Today, for the first time in 36 major tournaments and 10 years, Federer exited the tournament prior to the quarterfinals. Just think about that. Some hack named Jimmy Connors did it 27 times, and hardly merits a mention.

I only saw the fourth and concluding set, the third consecutive to end in a tie-break. I do not know if he played poorly to end up in such a pickle. I do know that I have never so much enjoyed watching Federer lose. He played great tennis, in the parts that I saw. He evened the set at 3 after falling back 3-1, and battled all the way into the tie-break. He missed his opening to break at 4-3 to be on his way to a fifth and deciding set, where I believe he would have won. But let me give credit where credit is due: Sergiy Stakhovsky played out of his mind. He was unafraid. And Federer is still great enough that Sergiy has every right to brag. I beat Federer. I beat the greatest of all time. Federer is so great that a man playing far above expectations has to fight for every point, and is guaranteed nothing.

It wasn't like two years ago, when Federer coasted while up 2 sets to choke it away in five to Jo-Willy Tsonga. That much was a crime against his legend. This underdog angry Federer is fun to watch; he knows they say he is done, but he still has something to prove. Those "I'm (still) Roger Federer" moments that were arrogance 8 years ago are endearing and inspiring now. After that Tsonga match, I wrote that he should walk away, especially if he had no heart to go down fighting. Now, I'm not leaving my TV, as long as Federer wants to be on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...