Skip to main content

Get With The Program

I just saw "Man Of Steel", AKA the new Superman movie. I am not capable of providing a review full of movie-buff knowledge or cynicism; I'm just not that guy. My very being resonates with unalloyed Truth and Love; if you want to play my heart-strings, they are available. I make no bones about that. I'm sorry.

This movie lays the Christ-homage on thick, and I loved every second of it. Superman's real name is Kal-El, or "Kal, son of El," which means plainly, "son of God." Clark/Kal tells us he is 33 years old. Actually, the film reminds us of this more than once, in case we are dull. We get views of Kal's childhood, and his foster father's wise decision that Kal should keep his true identity secret "until the right time," more than vaguely reminiscent of St. Mark's "Messianic Secret." In fact, Kal's human parents are so saintly that if you don't think of Mary and Joseph, well, I know some good PSR/RCIA teachers you can talk to.

In fact, the only thing approaching a first millennium Christian heresy is the fact that Kal doesn't know his origin (nor does he die, but this is forgivable). The movie goes from allegory to outright visible depiction of Our Lord when Superman speaks to his father toward the climax. Jor-El says to his son, "You can save them all," and as he departs the vessel we see Superman's arms spread forth as in the Crucifixion. You would have to be Dawkins or a dullard to either miss it, or to fail to be thankful to God while watching it. More than this, in Jor-El's synopsis of the destruction of their planet Kypton, he says it was the result of "population-control efforts." An orthodox Catholic could hardly ask for a stronger rebuke of the Culture of Death. Good is good, Bad is bad. The morality play is straight-up; there are no blinkered heroes or sympathetic villains. We need stories like this right now. I noted with some dismay that all the previews involved apocalyptic scenarios; we are a troubled people, and our stories reflect that. I'm glad this film is here to give us hope. In fact, Kal tells us that the 'S' on his chest means "hope." It is very difficult not to be moved by this.

It was a very clean movie overall; very little foul language, and no sexual situations worth mentioning. Lois Lane and Superman kiss at the end, but it isn't gaudy or offensive. Whether you take your children is up to you. But I am thankful that this movie moves us in a direction where our hero stories are but echoes of the Hero Story to end them all. Praised be Jesus Christ, now and forever! (And the movie really was awesome.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...