Skip to main content

Just A Guy

I spent all day with Bob yesterday. He and his wife are huge Trekkies. That's awesome. And it followed upon Confession and Mass in the early afternoon. And then we ate meat. I stayed until late in the night. We watched the TOS episode, "The City On The Edge Of Forever." I love you, "Edith Keeler." Even if you are a humanist hippie. [Dude, she's like 75 now.--ed.] Don't you kill my dreams. [Your dreams are stupid.--ed.] I grant that it would be better if she were 25, Catholic, and actually real. [Duh.--ed.]

Most of the time, I mock either Captain Kirk or the writers for subjecting us to their amorous whims. Not this time. Dark black hair, eyes to light up a city...sheesh. Well played, Kirk, well played. [But...--ed.] Shhhh. There might be people who haven't seen it. But of course, it won't work out. We all know that Kirk's true love is the Enterprise. Remember Elaan of Troyius? She literally chemically addicted him, and he just quit her. Cold turkey. If you don't get who Kirk's true love is, you don't get Star Trek. That's why Mr. Wise included the shuttle-pod scene in The Motion Picture. Many people were critical of that scene, and the pacing of the whole film, but they are wrong. It is quintessential Star Trek, and we Trekkies don't need explanations. I understand that for our culture to persist, we must appeal to the casual fan. I support that effort. But we just get it, and that's it.

But the new movie is great. I love what they have done, almost without reservation. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto just get it. They have nailed the two most important roles in the whole canon: Kirk and Spock. I have more to say about this later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...