Skip to main content

Spock Makes Star Trek Go

And you don't realize it at first. And this character seems oddly cold at times, with his logical analysis and suppression of emotion. The story on the Vulcans is that they are deeply passionate people with a lively spiritual life, but some centuries ago, those passions almost destroyed their civilization. A man named Surak led the people in prizing logic over emotion. The frustrations of the other characters at this philosophy often pushes the story forward.

But Spock is no ordinary Vulcan. His mother Amanda was human. After she died, his father Sarek (not to be confused with Surak above) took another human wife, Perrin. Spock often feels the tension of his emotions, believing them to arise from his human half. Of course, he is mistaken; the passions of his Vulcan heritage dwarf that of any human.

But his friendship with Jim Kirk would change how he understood humanity and himself. James T. Kirk is a roguish, passionate, loyal, and supremely courageous man. He has cheated death countless times, and when he finally died, it was in service to people he did not know, and to a ship and crew that were not his. It's hard for any of us to know when and how this unlikely friendship formed, but we know that Spock was his closest confidante. Kirk calls him "a brother," and is quite willing to sacrifice everything for him.

The truth of the matter is that Kirk is often a consequentialist. He needs Spock to remind him that what feels right is not always right, that intending to do good is not sufficient. Where logic and true humanity intersect, there is the natural law. And the aged Spock is one who took the best of Kirk and what he had known and fused them. Spock is the most Christ-like of all the characters in the Star Trek universe. When Spock died, he did so to save his friends. (Note to the reader: I am referring to the original timeline.) You can almost hear the words of Jesus echoing in your ears as you watch the scene: "Greater love has no man than this: that he lay down his life for his friends." It remains the most affecting scene in the history of Star Trek.

At Spock's funeral, Kirk said, "Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most human." And the sense of that is in Christ, the "perfect man," who in His Incarnation, reveals man to himself.

Somewhere in the written adaptions for the episodes for what we call, "The Original Series," D.C. Fontana, an important writer for Star Trek, relates a conversation with Gene Roddenberry (its creator) about Spock. Star Trek is still here because of this character. And Roddenberry agreed. There is plenty of humanist nonsense in Star Trek. But it finds its deepest resonance in those themes and motifs that are first present in the story of our redemption, and in Him by whom it is accomplished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...