Skip to main content

Sigh

Did you know that I'm not a mind-reader? I do have a great deal of emotional intelligence, I'd say, but there's a big difference between cleverness of a sort, and being a telepath. Anyone who knows me knows I just say what I think. There's a big variance between being frank, and being willfully hurtful, too. Yet I count on people to contextualize what I say with what they know. It doesn't always work, and I'm not even close to being a good friend in so many ways.

I expect a lot of my friends. I expect them to tell me when there is a problem. I expect them to listen to my response, and not just be thinking of the next thing to say. My response may be foolish, unjustified, or otherwise unrealistic, but if your friends don't know you're a fool, they're not your friends.

It's a powerful word: "friend." As outgoingly ENFP as I am, as skilled as I may be at connecting with someone who was previously a complete stranger, I don't use it lightly. At all. I guess it hurts more than anything to know that other people don't mean it the way I do. "Broken friendship" does not exist in my vocabulary. It just doesn't. If we hurt each other, we talk about it, and we forgive. End of story.

I could understand that it might take time. I've been angry before. It's hard. I have taken to using the term "frustrated" when I feel upset about something someone did or said. It seems a tame word at first, but think on it more with me: Aren't you describing some effect within yourself, rather than the thing itself? That is, the good purposes of my life are being frustrated by whatever it is.

Well, I've got one of those things. To be perfectly honest, it's a daily effort, a ritual, to deal with the things that I feel. I still get as angry as I did before. I want to talk about it, but with whom? To what end? So he or she can tell me, "That sucks" or "It's your fault" or whatever they would say? To be honest, I'm not even sure I know exactly what I did wrong. Was it one word, or a series of them? Was a sentiment I expressed unknown or surprising? I don't know.

I searched myself, and I found selfishness instead of open love, and I said so, right here. But I can't say I'd take anything back. What really stinks is, it may have been better to leave it unsaid, but then, I was feeling boxed in that it was unsaid. I thought I could rely on the goodwill I had built. I was wrong.

I am so willful and rebellious, it's a little questionable whether I'll make it to Heaven. But if there is any light from Heaven that shines from me, let me use it to say I'm sorry. But I need it to be known that I'm angry about what has happened. What was done in response did not do justice to me, as I person who put a lot into being a friend. Did I fail? More times than you know. But it was real. I was real. But you can know that I was never mad enough to wish harm, or anything less than blessing. I still pray. I still hope.

Lord, I offer you this suffering for the conversion of sinners, and for the good of the world. You who are all-seeing, see the good in me, and grow it. I ask this through Christ, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...