Skip to main content

Here's My Sign

There's a scene in one of my favorite movies, For Love Of The Game, (note that there is not in fact another "The" in the title) where our co-protagonist Jane is caught off-guard by Billy's forwardness on what amounts to a first date. So, she makes a semi-joking comment that people should wear signs about themselves. It would save everyone time, she says.

Well, mine would have more than one word, unlike in the movie. Of course, I got to thinking what I'd put on mine. Forgive me if this betrays some frustration, but mine would say, "I am neither same-sex attracted nor asexual, and I am most certainly not your brother."

On the other hand, it's true that I'm not exactly the same as you, ever so desirous I may be to feel as "normal" as possible. Living with a physical disability from the beginning makes you different. I couldn't really understand it until I listened to Stanley Hauerwas. I am vulnerable--even emotionally--in ways that you are not. I must trust others in ways you do not. I find it even amusing that I am a living rebuke to self-centeredness, because at any moment, I may have a need that requires the assistance of whomever is there. I almost crashed down a hillside last night, and two random guys felt the need to rush over to help out. They could have been murderers, for all we know. There is a child-like innocence about me that I both cherish and despise.

Every person wants to feel strong and in control. That could be pride, many times, but it's also part of our dignity as human beings in God's image. We have something to give, all of us. If you deny me that, you're denying God who made me. Yes, there is something dreadfully wrong. I know it as well as you. You think I failed to notice that I am not 9-time Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis?

I once joked in a somewhat off-color way that I would start a conversation with a group of women by flatly stating, "Everything works." I grant you as a Christian that this would be crude, but I'm a filthy liar if I tell you I haven't wondered if that wasn't exactly what someone wanted to know.

But I no longer live with the conceit that we are the same. And yet, there are still those profound human things that I still want and need. And things will go better if I know you understand that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...