Skip to main content

Dune Is Awesome, Fred Noltie!

I was shocked to discover that our resident sci-fi person at CTC, Fred Noltie, didn't like Frank Herbert's Dune. He was muttering something about "advocates drug use" and "eco-hippies" and such. I expected him to say something about the persistent "religion is all made up" theme. That didn't bother me, because I saw the movie first. The movie behaves as if the religious claims in the story are true, so despite the vague hints that our "Messiah" isn't all he's cracked up to be, it's a more comfortable story for a Christian to inhabit.

Herbert definitely wants us to see the Fremen as the Jews, or a related Semitic people. And we immediately like Duke Leto Atreides, the father of our protagonist, Paul. Jurgen Prochnow captured the Duke's nobility expertly in the film. Dr. Kynes/Liet had to be played by Max von Sydow, and that was great, also.

We don't know that the woman who becomes Paul's wife, Chani, is Liet's daughter, from the film. But we know this in the book. I loved it, and Fred is wrong. Sorry, buddy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Heh.

I have read the book a few times, and aside from the above-mentioned things I do not like about Dune, I am certainly most put off by the fact that some band of readers dubbed it the greatest sci fi/fantasy book of all time. This opinion I can never share, because Herbert’s prose does not bear comparison to the artistry of Tolkien’s, nor his drug-addled story to the majestic epic of the LOTR. :-)

LOTR inspires me to be better than I am. Dune makes me feel like I have just read Machiavelli. :-)

Fred
Jason said…
First of all, whoever decided that science fiction and fantasy should be considered together must have been smoking the spice. :)

Secondly, watch the movie. It makes the book better, and that never happens. (Find the "Alan Smithee" cut, disavowed by David Lynch.)
Anonymous said…
I saw the movie. The one with Sting and Kyle Maclachlan in it? I think they make the movie self-refuting, but it has been a very long time.

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...

What I Should Have Said

 I was functionally fired from my teaching job in November, 2024, after an unjust administrative "process" initiated by HR , and triggered by false accusations the content of which I was never told. My "defense" therefore could have no reasonable basis or direction. I won't say the name of the Local Education Agency, but the town where I lived and worked was Cheraw, South Carolina. I think that once I was on administrative leave, they could use nearly any indiscretion of mine as the final straw to remove me. I did connect with students on social media in protest, and I did express hope that I would quickly be returned to the classroom. The principal of the high school where I worked--a true lackey of the bureaucracy, and fully committed to educational ideas, methods, and solutions that don't work--also allowed his personal dislike of me to take the form of a belief that I was a substandard teacher. He gave me an unsatisfactory review on October 12, and we ha...