Obviously, I didn’t know Glen. But I knew his work, especially “Once” and the music associated with the film. It’s legitimately a great film, and the song “Falling Slowly” won an Academy Award. Marketa Irglova played a fellow musician who agrees to help him make an album. There is some romantic tension in the film, though Irglova’s character was married. It was a real Kris Kristofferson-Barbra Streisand situation, and the actor-musicians actually were dating during the making of the film.
It’s a good enough story to have spawned a Broadway musical, and if you’re not aware, that’s a compliment from me.
Hansard really did play his guitar on the street for money, and even after “Once” he wasn’t likely to be the opening act on the Eras Tour. He loved music, and he loved to play it for people.
With the Lord’s permission, I would like to say that auto accidents and plane crashes are stupid. Actually, I can think of a few other ways of dying that seem senseless. Suffice to say that he’s too young to have an obituary. People say life is unfair, and maybe it is. But death is far more unfair.
Glen has my prayers, as do his friends and family.
Comments