Skip to main content

9/11 25 Years Later

 I remember I slept late. 10 o’clock in the morning. I’m brushing my teeth in my residence hall bathroom. A dude ran in and said, “Someone attacked the World Trade Center; they think 50,000 people are dead. I said, “C’mon, man. That’s not funny. Don’t joke about that.” It was real.

It’d been a couple years I think since a guy drove a truck into the parking garage of the World Trade Center that contained a bomb. I remember when the USS Cole got attacked the previous year. We knew it was Islamic-flavored terrorists.

I went toward the front desk. We always had news summaries on a standing whiteboard. Above the news, there was a note: “In spite of everything that has happened, we are committed to treating everyone with respect, no matter their religion.” I was proud to see that. I’m still very proud it was there. In those days, it wasn’t normal to try to offend political opponents on purpose.

It wasn’t that the day was so hard; it was too shocking to feel anything. The days and weeks that followed brought out the emotions. Every time President Bush spoke, it felt like I was on the verge of tears. He went to Ground Zero a few days later. He gave a speech that ended, “In the past few days, we’ve seen and heard from our first responders. The people who did this will hear from all of us soon.” They started to chant, “USA! USA! USA!” It went on a long time, to the point where I was uncomfortable.

I remember the special joint session of Congress on the 20th. The president spoke again. It’s been 25 years, and I still can’t even read the thing without tears.

I remember when the World Series started. Yeah, nobody hated the Yankees then. I remember the president throwing out the first pitch. Perfect strike. F— yes, Mr. President. The Arizona Diamondbacks winning Game 7 was oddly cathartic. We didn’t need a storybook ending to be Americans. We were OK. Baseball could be weird, like it’s supposed to be.

We became defiant. We understood that if we lived in fear, they would win. It became a punchline eventually, but we weren’t going to let them win, and we didn’t.

You didn’t have to watch the footage to be sad; it just would grab you in a moment. I still haven’t been to New York, but it feels like home. It always will, I imagine. 

We really did that goofy thing where we gave a thumbs up or a nod if we saw someone with an American flag shirt or hat on. This went on for months.

A few years later, Darryl Worley recorded “Have You Forgotten?” Like a lot of country songs from the time, it laid the patriotism on a little thick. But the line, “Some went down like heroes/In that Pennsylvania field” wrecks me every time. They were the fourth plane, meant for the White House.

I’m a practicing Catholic now, but who I am today is pretty much who I was then. Death is hugely clarifying. I might think a person is kinda stupid, with stupid ideas. But I would rather help them see that they have stupid ideas, as opposed to murder them. That’s still the America I believe in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Don't Need No Magisterium: (Jason's Version) (But Actually, We Do)

Hilarious Com-Box Quote of The Day: "I was caught immediately because it is the Acts of the Apostles, not the Acts of the Holy Spirit Acting Erratically."--Donald Todd, reacting to the inartful opposition of the Holy Spirit and the Magisterium. Mark Galli, an editor at Christianity Today, had suggested that today's "confusion" in evangelicalism replicates a confusion on the day of Pentecost. Mr. Todd commented after this reply , and the original article is here. My thoughts: By what means was this Church-less "consensus" formed? If the Council did not possess the authority to adjudicate such questions, who does? If the Council Fathers did not intend to be the arbiters, why do they say that they do? At the risk of being rude, I would define evangelicalism as, "Whatever I want or need to believe at any particular time." Ecclesial authority to settle a particular question is a step forward, but only as long as, "God alone is Lord of the con...

Dear Alyse

 Today, you’re 35. Or at least you would be, in this place. You probably know this, but we’re OK. Not great, but OK. We know you wouldn’t want us moping around and weeping all the time. We try not to. Actually, I guess part of the problem is that you didn’t know how much we loved you. And that you didn’t know how to love yourself. I hope you have gotten to Love by now. Not a place, but fills everything in every way. I’m not Him, but he probably said, “Dear daughter/sister, you have been terribly hard on yourself. Rest now, and be at peace.” Anyway, teaching is going well, and I tell the kids all about you. They all say you are pretty. I usually can keep the boys from saying something gross for a few seconds. Mom and I are going to the game tonight. And like 6 more times, before I go back to South Carolina. I have seen Nicky twice, but I myself haven’t seen your younger kids. Bob took pictures of the day we said goodbye, and we did a family picture at the Abbey. I literally almost a...

Who Is Out Here Having Sex And Children With People They Don’t Like?

 And look, I’m not married. I’ve never been married. I have no children. I didn’t choose that; things just worked out that way. If you must know, I haven’t had sexual intercourse either. I probably should say “coitus,” so I am not arguing with some progressive activist about what “sexual intercourse” means. But I figured out from influencer videos or something what a “dead bedroom” was. Unless a couple mutually agrees that they don’t want to have sex/coitus anymore (hopefully to pray and serve) this is usually bad. I’ve known enough couples that it’s probably an indicator of trouble, especially for couples who are still able to have children. Is it really that wild to at least hope that Mr. and Mrs. Vance love each other? That a fourth child yet born at least might indicate that they enjoy each other?  Children are definitely not responsible for their parents’ happiness. That’s absolutely true. But wouldn’t any child hope their parents were happy, when they came into being? As...